V88 CAN Update

trophy

I have a V88 serial number 7826 that I understand needs an update to use the CAN feature.  Is this something that is a user mod or does it need to be sent to ViPec / Link or a Dealer.?  

If it needs to go to a dealer, is there someone in or around Calgary, Canada that can do it, I would rather not send the ECU internationally.

I dont know of any dealer in that area that would be capable but it is a relatively simple procedure for someone familiar with SMT soldering.  It would be a 10minute job for an electronics guy if you have a local TV repair guy or similar.  I can email you instructions later.  Also note it is a free of charge service if it comes back to us, you just need to look after shipping both ways.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a bit old, but I've also got a V88 that needs the CAN update and wouldn't mind getting the instructions to update it.  My only other option at this point is ditch the V88 for something that does CAN as I need to talk to a TCU.  :(  

Is getting the instructions emailed still an option?

Yes, I can give you instructions.  However, before we go that far, be aware the CAN is very basic in these old ecu's, you cant configure much of the format - for instance all channels will be sent as full 16bit values, always Intel format, you cant change any scaling or how the data is fitted into the frame.  

What TCU do you have, and is its CAN configuration very flexible?  

23 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yes, I can give you instructions.  However, before we go that far, be aware the CAN is very basic in these old ecu's, you cant configure much of the format - for instance all channels will be sent as full 16bit values, always Intel format, you cant change any scaling or how the data is fitted into the frame.  

What TCU do you have, and is its CAN configuration very flexible?  

Thanks for the response.   I'm using a PCS TCM2800.  It's CAN configuration is mildly flexible but seems to be mostly related to output.  I think it just expects J1939 messages for input to get TPS, RPM, ECT and MAP.  Getting the two talking via CAN was basically my cheap option to solving my problem.

I've been trying to set up the TCU to piggyback on the TPS signal but it's a finicky 2JZ VVTi E-Throttle and doing so seems to make the main/sub voltage differential unstable and the e-throttle keeps shutting off randomly.  Without the TPS hooked in things work fine, but of course the TCU won't function without TPS.  I figured using CAN to get TPS would be a clever solution.

I'm starting to think upgrading to a G4X XtremeX is the only way I'm going to get this to work. :(  I just loaded up PCLink and had a poke around and really do like the CAN stream configuration flexibility, which you are right, would probably get this working regardless of the TCU capabilities.  But you know..... money...  :( Decisions....decisions.....  lol. 

6 hours ago, JAZ-013 said:

I've been trying to set up the TCU to piggyback on the TPS signal but it's a finicky 2JZ VVTi E-Throttle and doing so seems to make the main/sub voltage differential unstable and the e-throttle keeps shutting off randomly.  Without the TPS hooked in things work fine, but of course the TCU won't function without TPS.  I figured using CAN to get TPS would be a clever solution.

Looking through some of the PCS documentation it seems it is common to use pedal position instead of TPS. Have you tried splicing in to the pedal signal?  Otherwise you could probably use a GP PWM aux output with a low pass filter to generate an analog TPS signal to connect to the TCU.

6 hours ago, JAZ-013 said:

I think it just expects J1939 messages for input to get TPS, RPM, ECT and MAP.  Getting the two talking via CAN was basically my cheap option to solving my problem.

Unfortunately J1939 uses 29bit ID's and motorolla format so the V88 isnt going to be able to do that.  

51 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Looking through some of the PCS documentation it seems it is common to use pedal position instead of TPS. Have you tried splicing in to the pedal signal?  Otherwise you could probably use a GP PWM aux output with a low pass filter to generate an analog TPS signal to connect to the TCU.

Unfortunately J1939 uses 29bit ID's and motorolla format so the V88 isnt going to be able to do that.  

Wow, thanks for the response.  I'll try the FPS first, but the GP PWM Output is a great idea and shouldn't be too difficult for me to Macgyver a simple low-pass filter.

That being said, after installing PC Link and having a poke around, I've got my heart set on a G4X now as it will give me back traction control, throttle blip, and some other cool stuff.  If I get one and CAN still ends up being my best option, can you see any reason why the G4X wouldn't be able to output frames the TCU can understand?

• 1 year later...

Hey Adamw can you please email me any instructions for the can retrofit to suit vipec v88 - Racetuneaus[[at]]gmail.com please 

I may send it to you and pay for postage each way too depending on how involved it is. I do have an smd solder station here. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Hey Adamw can you please email me any instructions for the can retrofit to suit vipec v88 - Racetuneaus[[at]]gmail.com please 

I may send it to you and pay for postage each way too depending on how involved it is. I do have an smd solder station here. Thanks 

Just FYI.  I'm still waiting on my response for the same info.  :(