2006 Mini Cooper S R53 - Link G4+ Questions

jonnyenglish

Hi There,

I have just received my link G4+ Plug In (not yet installed), and just have a few questions, basically i dont know what i am doing with it so will be taking it to a dyno when its installed to be mapped but at the same time i would like to learn how to use  and do it myself in time whats the best way to do this? Secondly  , my car currently has the airbag light on, is there a way i can switch it off without using the obd port? thirdly, can i fit this to the car now and use the base map, until im ready for the dyno? and lastly is there a place you can go to download maps people have used on there car, i.e. could i download a map from someone elses car thats the same as mine, with the same/similar modifications and safely use there map again until i get to the dyno?

sorry if these are really noob questions but i wanna learn quick!!

Thanks for you help,

Jon

19 hours ago, jonnyenglish said:

learn how to use  and do it myself in time whats the best way to do this?

HP Academy would be a good place to start:  https://www.hpacademy.com/courses/efi-tuning/

my car currently has the airbag light on

This is nothing to do with the engine ECU, you will have to correct the problem then reset it with the proper diagnostic tool.

can i fit this to the car now and use the base map, until im ready for the dyno?

There is a base map supplied with the ECU that will allow the engine to start and run.  You will still need to do all the pre-start and after-start checks outlined in the manual as well as trigger calibration etc.  It will likely need some adjustments to get it running good enough to drive depending on how modified the engine is.

20 hours ago, jonnyenglish said:

is there a place you can go to download maps people have used on there car, i.e. could i download a map from someone elses car thats the same as mine, with the same/similar modifications and safely use there map again until i get to the dyno?

Nothing official here.  My feeling is any such map would unlikely suit your specific engine much better than the base map so I suggest just stick with that and do the bare minimum of driving until you can get it properly tuned.