St185 PNP Injector 3 not firing

DO1023

Hey again folks.

I'm having issues getting injector 3 to fire. I've swapped around plugs from the other injectors and they are able to fire injector 3 ( this is done internally using an injector test ). I am able to assign injector 5 as an injector and get it to fire the third injector, however.

Injector 3 is getting batt voltage with key on and I've traced the wiring back to the ecu and have determined that for some reason, the ecu isn't grounding out the injector when tested. There are no breaks in connection.

Am I able to just use inj 5 to pulse my third injector? And if so, what would be the best way to go about that?

Thanks!

can you try swapping the pin on the ECU plug between inj2 and inj3? the plugs can be dismantled if you press the little white tab on the top so it clicks out then you can slide the wire side of the plug back.

This is as close to the ecu as you can swap things and will verify that all the wiring is good - if you still cant fire inj3 when its running a known good wire to a known good injector, then you probably have a faulty output on the ECU

edit - just saw its a PNP not a standlone. you should still be able to swap the pins on the connector but it will be a different process to get it apart.

2 hours ago, cj said:

can you try swapping the pin on the ECU plug between inj2 and inj3? the plugs can be dismantled if you press the little white tab on the top so it clicks out then you can slide the wire side of the plug back.

This is as close to the ecu as you can swap things and will verify that all the wiring is good - if you still cant fire inj3 when its running a known good wire to a known good injector, then you probably have a faulty output on the ECU

edit - just saw its a PNP not a standlone. you should still be able to swap the pins on the connector but it will be a different process to get it apart.

Yeah I actually test fired the third injector with wiring for inj1,2,4 and 5. I also tried wiring for inj 3 on the other injectors and it did nothing.

1 hour ago, DO1023 said:

Where exactly is that setting? Having a bit of trouble finding it.

I 1000% thought of that but couldn't find the settings anywhere.

The Plugin ECU doesnt have P&H drivers so that setting is not available.

Is this a brand new ECU or has it been used before?

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

The Plugin ECU doesnt have P&H drivers so that setting is not available.

Is this a brand new ECU or has it been used before?

This is brand new.

Surely I should be able to use inj5 to drive my third injector?

16 hours ago, DO1023 said:

Surely I should be able to use inj5 to drive my third injector?

Not for 4 cylinder sequential, the ECU will automatically assign inj 1-4.  It is very odd for a brand new ECU to be DOA, they are rigorously tested and heat cycled for 30 odd hours before they leave us. 

Just to eliminate a firmware or related issue, can you try >ECU Controls>Restore to factory settings.  After that do a store and power-cycle, then re-connect and try the injector test function again.  If still no action from inj 3 then it will have to come back to us for inspection.

On 4/16/2018 at 11:35 PM, Adamw said:
6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Not for 4 cylinder sequential, the ECU will automatically assign inj 1-4.  It is very odd for a brand new ECU to be DOA, they are rigorously tested and heat cycled for 30 odd hours before they leave us. 

Just to eliminate a firmware or related issue, can you try >ECU Controls>Restore to factory settings.  After that do a store and power-cycle, then re-connect and try the injector test function again.  If still no action from inj 3 then it will have to come back to us for inspection.

I tried that, with no luck unfortunately. Scott from Link US advised me to use inj4 as inj 3 and inj5 as inj 4. Fired right up.

So I guess I'll just go that route.

10 minutes ago, DO1023 said:

Scott from Link US advised me to use inj4 as inj 3 and inj5 as inj 4. Fired right up.

So that would only work if you changed inj mode to multigroup with inj 1-6 drives set active I would expect.  If you are going to run with that make sure there is nothing connected to pin #6 (maybe oxy sensor heater).

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

So that would only work if you changed inj mode to multigroup with inj 1-6 drives set active I would expect.  If you are going to run with that make sure there is nothing connected to pin #6 (maybe oxy sensor heater).

Weird! It definitely did fire but I'll make that change and swap anything from 6 and then get back to you with results.