X-SERIES AEMNET CAN BUS GAUGE

02_dragbugeye

Ok thanks ill take another look at it. I knew the x-series worked for sending to the ECU but i wasn't sure about the other way around with this gauge getting info over CAN.

Im glad this work cause this gauge is a good bit cheaper than a Gaugeart CAN gauge and looks better to boot!

Actually, by the looks of Brads reply I think he might have mistaken that gauge for the X-series lambda device.  Having said, the "AEMNet" protocol is freely available so I reckon we could make it work depending on how much data you want to send to it.  I dont think we would have enough CAN ID's to send the complete list of channels they say it is compatible with.

What data would you want sent to the gauge and what other CAN devices do you have connected to the ECU?

10 hours ago, 02_dragbugeye said:

At the moment i don't have plans for any other CAN devices but if i do use these gauges i would like to use 2-3 of them.

As far as what data, I would probably put like A/F ratio, MAP, oil press/temp, maybe coolant temp, and ethanol content.

Thanks for the reply

Yep, all of that would work fine, it will use up 4 ID's out of the 6 possible so still leaves you a little freedom if you decide later to add some other CAN device.

Our current 6 CAN ID's allowance is not normally much of a limitation for the market our ECU's are used in.  Most motorsport devices allow sequential or compound messaging which allow you to send multiple data words on the same ID.  It is usually just odd proprietary stuff like AEMNET or trying to duplicate an OEM CAN bus that needs multiple ID's.  It would be nice to have more ID's but there is a finite amount of memory in the ECU so the allowance that is given to CAN functions has to be balanced against other features that users want.  I suspect you wont find it a limitation at all.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am looking at ecu options for my 07 sti and the Fury seems to be the winner option so far.

CAN setup is something specifically that I am looking into, so I would be interested if anybody got this gauge actually working and displaying lambda1.

Looking at the AEM documentation of x series uego, the frames are making up kind of a complex structure, and not all of the paramameters would be available in PCLink.

Thanks,

Bèla

11 hours ago, Adamw said:

as per the posts above, the set up info is in the help file:

Capture.png

Thanks Adamw, but that is the other way around. This spec is about receiving lambda information from the UEGO.

What I am curious about is transmitting lambda1 info from the Fury to the AEM CAN display.

thx,

Béla

3 minutes ago, Rozsko said:

Thanks Adamw, but that is the other way around. This spec is about receiving lambda information from the UEGO.

What I am curious about is transmitting lambda1 info from the Fury to the AEM CAN display.

thx,

Béla

The AEM gauge doesn’t have any CAN receive capability, it transmits data only.

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

The AEM gauge doesn’t have any CAN receive capability, it transmits data only.

The one in the initial post is a CAN data display gauge. https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/gauges/digital-gauges/X-Series/AEMnet

But it is somewhat restricted as custom CAN IDs can't be configured. It only has a few (actually quite a few) AEM specific CAN streams specified for display. So that is why I am wondering if that gauge requires the exact AEMNet stream or would it be enough to transmit the lambda1 value only.

thx,

Béla

On 1/3/2019 at 9:25 PM, Rozsko said:

The one in the initial post is a CAN data display gauge. https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/gauges/digital-gauges/X-Series/AEMnet

But it is somewhat restricted as custom CAN IDs can't be configured. It only has a few (actually quite a few) AEM specific CAN streams specified for display. So that is why I am wondering if that gauge requires the exact AEMNet stream or would it be enough to transmit the lambda1 value only.

thx,

Béla

Oh sorry, I must have been skim reading your post.

yes we can duplicate the AEMnet stream to make this gauge work.  You don’t need to duplicate all messages/ID’s, just the ones that contain the data you want to display.  I will give you an example next time I have access to a PC (overseas on holiday at present).

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Oh sorry, I must have been skim reading your post.

yes we can duplicate the AEMnet stream to make this gauge work.  You don’t need to duplicate all messages/ID’s, just the ones that contain the data you want to display.  I will give you an example next time I have access to a PC (overseas on holiday at present).

Adam,

This is fair enough for me now. I already played with PCLink and I configured couple of CAN streams. I just wasn't sure if it is enough if I transmit Lambda1, but from your reply it seems it is.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Adamw said:

That message above would look like this.  Send it a 500Kbit, 50Hz transmit rate, extended ID = 32546820

Pn6DROh.png

Thanks Adam! Is the extended can ID (32546820) just decimal of hex 0x01F0A004?  Just trying to figure it out so I can add other parameters and understand a bit more. Thank you!

For example, there's another can message ID of 0x01F0A000. 

Would I be correct in assuming the CAN ID would be 32546816? And how are the IAT and Coolant Temp data handed on that one? 

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 2.53.12 PM.png

11 hours ago, a96bimmerm3 said:

Is the extended can ID (32546820) just decimal of hex 0x01F0A004?

Correct.

would I be correct in assuming the CAN ID would be 32546816

Correct.

And how are the IAT and Coolant Temp data handed on that one? 

Set type to signed and use an offset of -50 should do it.  

On 2/22/2019 at 6:51 PM, Adamw said:

Correct.

Correct.

Set type to signed and use an offset of -50 should do it.  

Adam thanks so much, it all works perfectly. The only thing I needed to do is do a multiplier for lambda rather than a divider.  Got coolant temp and map sensor working great too.

Does adding a can stream or two use much horsepower from the Link ECU or is it pretty much a non issue?

• 4 years later...

hi can anyone help me sort this aemnet canbus gauge out 
id like to have (oil temp) (oil pressure) (ect temp) (boost)(iat temp) (batt v) 

ive try'd to put the map in but the can gauge shows the wrong readings no matter what i do,
try'd the data on all the forums with no luck. 

i have can 1 working with no issues with my powertune dash

51egc81050CC.pclx