Laggy PCLink software

rocklizzard91

Hello all,

I've been using my older Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop for tuning for the last couple years. Last week I went to do some tuning on my PnP Link G4+ and the data was lagging pretty badly. I hadn't changed any of the settings both on the laptop or the ECU.

Long story short, I ended up reimaging the computer with Windows 10 (same OS I was running previously) and I still have the lagging problem. I plugged in my MacBook with Windows 7 on bootcamp and it seems to be perfectly fine. I will attach videos, but the issue is that when I blip the throttle the tracer in the fuel tab doesn't even respond by the time the engine is revving down. Sometimes not at all.

Any ideas what it could be? 

I have tried:

Reimage, reboot, uninstall/reinstall PCLink, different USB port

The Dell on W10:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uJ6uPC5fRxdk5PdSa6tk23mD8fF4vxGf/view?usp=drivesdk

MacBook on W7:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J6eYJTRGcO8G-ZgWNFDk30XiaJCK0v4R/view?usp=drivesdk

The "redraw frequency" shown at the top right of the screen is sitting at about 30Hz on your win 7 machine, this is much lower than the normal 55-60Hz.  Can you check under options>connection that baud rate is set to Max 625K, and the slow connection check box is not checked.

Another possibility is windows update has recently updated your graphics driver and broken something.  I know there is a problem with a recent Nvidia driver but I dont know if that laptop has Nvidia graphics or not.  Can you have a look in device manager>display adapters and report back what type of graphics system is fitted.

I've got the same lagging problems across many different laptops with pclink+, don't have the same issues with the old VTS or pclink for G4.  Most use the integrated intel graphics, Surface Laptop, Surface Pro3, recent Dell Latitude all on latest Win10 build.  Most noticeable at start but after a minute or two it becomes usable.  I'm sure it's related to graphics as if you try and move/resize a window at any time (even after it's become functional), the window doesn't show while it's being moved/resized which takes a bit of guess-work to get the move/resize right.

7 hours ago, rocklizzard91 said:

Maybe I should roll it back?

Since you thought this problem only showed up recently (and PCLink hasnt changed in about a year), I think it wouldnt be a bad idea to try an older graphics driver to see if it changes anything.  

6 hours ago, JMP said:

I've got the same lagging problems across many different laptops with pclink+, don't have the same issues with the old VTS or pclink for G4.  Most use the integrated intel graphics, Surface Laptop, Surface Pro3, recent Dell Latitude all on latest Win10 build.  Most noticeable at start but after a minute or two it becomes usable.  I'm sure it's related to graphics as if you try and move/resize a window at any time (even after it's become functional), the window doesn't show while it's being moved/resized which takes a bit of guess-work to get the move/resize right.

Thanks for the info.  I've noticed this complaint pop up more frequently recently but myself and our engineering guys havent been able to reproduce it in house with a multitude of different PC's.  My personal tuning laptop is only a basic i3 with intel graphics and same with my work PC, a fairly old i5 with integrated graphics running 2 high res monitors both run PC Link nicely.  I've also tried a really gutless atom tablet and although that's slow to initially open up it still runs the application fine once going. 

Can you guys also try loading the attached layout, to see if it has any effect, I've just removed the surface view. 

Basic Layout.llf

I tried the rolled back driver and it helped a little bit.

Its still not as good on my Dell windows 10 machine vs on my Macbook windows 7 though :(

I did try the basic layout on the current driver and it might actually be worse.

At this point I'm considering going back to windows 7 on the Dell to see if that "fixes" my problem.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:05 PM, JMP said:

The window not displaying while dragging is probably caused by a scaling issue with a non native resolution and/or scaling setup in windows display preferences (or at least it was on my laptop)

We don't show the contents of a view while dragging by the way, so you should only expect the outline but  it should be the same size and position as the view.

If your outline isn't the same size and position as the view you're clicking and dragging then you need to set your windows display resolution scaling to 100%. If the font sizes are too small after this you can scale them up in PCLink in options > preferences.

Thanks guys,  the display scaling being set to 100% sorted the issue with no outline being visible when resizing.  I noticed most of the lag at startup is when the top right corner says "calculating", it becomes usable when that starts displaying numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just been having this same issue. 

I have been using a disgustingly slow netbook for ages, Win7 with Pclink running awesome. 

Shiny new Win10 laptop and its as good as unusable. 

Just onboard Intel graphics card. Will see if there's an older driver.