Starting issues st185 PNP.

DO1023

I previously had an issue where I could not get one of my injectors to fire... ( see here -> http://forums.linkecu.com/topic/8319-st185-pnp-injector-3-not-firing/?tab=comments#comment-55843 ).

I swapped out to another ecu, solving that problem but now I'm running into an issue where I absolutely cannot get the car to run correctly. It runs for a few moments, very, VERY roughly.. as if it's misfiring, and then dies. If I give it any throttle, it'll run for a few moments more.

I would also like to mention that when I set base timing, I was dead on 0 for trigger offset at 10BTDC. I've change the trigger offset by 360 because I was advised this was necessary to get the car to run with these smart coils.

The injectors are Bosch Ev14. Part #0 280 158 040. 

I'm running genuine Toyota 1zz smart coils.

I've verified no vacuum leaks.

I've verified all coils fire via an ignition test

I've verified all injectors fire via an ignition test.

I have deleted my OEM injector resistor packs by tying all wires to that plug together ( this seems to be the way to do this. )

Compression test yields 180psi across all four and fuel is in the rail.

Below is my map. 

I'm really looking for some insight here as I am truly struggling to get this car running. I really appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance.

Daniel_map_final.pclr

I'm about to glance through the calibration.  Is there any chance of you uploading a log of the issues occurring?

Edit:

Based on what i see in the calibration, there is  still a tremendous amount of work needed to get this moving in the right direction.

Fuel is not anywhere near functional.   This is your key issue here.  Try dropping the injector scalar incrementally.  Doing so should richen the engine up and I believe will help with your running conditions.  Also your fuel table needs a ton of work and smoothing.

There is too much dwell in the operational area of the table.  At 14v the dwell is 3 ms.  Needs to be more like 1.8.  

3 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

I'm about to glance through the calibration.  Is there any chance of you uploading a log of the issues occurring?

Edit:

Based on what i see in the calibration, there is  still a tremendous amount of work needed to get this moving in the right direction.

Fuel is not anywhere near functional.   This is your key issue here.  Try dropping the injector scalar incrementally.  Doing so should richen the engine up and I believe will help with your running conditions.  Also your fuel table needs a ton of work and smoothing.

There is too much dwell in the operational area of the table.  At 14v the dwell is 3 ms.  Needs to be more like 1.8.  

Thanks for this. This is my first attempt at tuning so I'm still learning a lot. I'm going to apply everything you've said and see what happens.

Theres an awful lot of noise on trigger 2.  Maybe try raising the filter on trig2 from level 1 to level 2?

Is this a custom built harness or is it the factory unit?  

If it is still the factory original unit, you may want to rerun the trigger wires with new shielded cables that aren't 20 years old.

36 minutes ago, DO1023 said:

I'm really just starting to believe I have a timing issue.

I agree, your triggerscope and log looks ok.  If you havent already set you base timing then that could certainly cause it to run poorly.

49 minutes ago, DO1023 said:

Anyone have any ideas on how to ensure I have the engine timing synced with the ecu properly?

dbeP0SM.png

The triggers themselves were setup correctly ( as they were just copied over from the mr2 base map that ran my car ). It was an offset issue. I had to physically move the distributor so that with zero trigger offset and timing locked to 10 BTDC, The timing mark would line up with 10 BTDC on the crank. THEN I had bump the trigger offset to 360 and it fired right up. Sounds healthier than ever.