S4K: 1986 Audi 4000 V8 track car

Guest |656|

Guest |656|

Hi All,

I figured I would take a little time to introduce myself and my project.

My name is Haydn, I live in New Hamshire, USA, but grew up in the UK,and traveleld extensively including living in Sydney and the Gold Coast for an extended period of time.

My project started out its life as a Canadian 1986 Audi 4000 CS, in 1988 it was converted to a rally car by 4 Star racing, and spent the next 10 years being beaten to death. it then sat in various yards and garages until I got hold of it. My intention was to do a quick V8 conversion to test some plans I had for another project (1990 V8Q DTM replica). One thing led to another, and 14 months of nights and weekends later the S4K just had its cherry popped at Watkins Glen International last weekend.

The car isnt really finished yet, but it runs and drives well enough for track shakedowns.

Engine: 2005 B7 Audi S4 BHF code 4.2L 40V V8 with variable valve timing and variable inlet tract length.

Transmission: Getrag A03 6 speed Quattro from teh same B7 S4 donor car, 60R/40F split torsen.

Diff: 87 5KTQ housing, 3.89 gearset and a torsen from a 1990 V8Q

Brakes: Custom Wilwood seup up front, B5 S4 rear calipers on B8 rotors. Dual Tilton MC.

Clutch: Custom 034 motorsport flywheel with Tilton twin plate clutch.

Body: Chromoly cage, all TIG welded. Floor and tunnel custon, as is the firewall to accomodate pushing the motor down and back 4"

ECU: V88

Here is a link to my photo gallery of the build:http://picasaweb.google.com/haydn.taylor

And a link to the build thread on www.motorgeek.com (last page of about 45) :http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29308&start=1125

And my Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/timmmy

A video of the thing last weekend at the Glen, very much in 'take it easy mode'

Some pics to peak your interest:

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

941969423_6YVFw-L.jpg

I am running the Race Technology DL1 datalogger and Dash 2 and am the first person to get the Serial adaptor from Race technology and try it on the V88. After some back and forth with RT I now have it working with the V88, sidplaying data on the dash and logging it. Not quite there yet but by the end of this coming week I should have it nailed and be able to document the setup for inclusion here and on the RT knowledge base. Cant wait for CAN though!

Enjoy and nice to virtually meet you all, get ready for a lot of questions!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest |656|

By way of a little update,

I took the car to Le Circuit Mont Tremblant, Just north of Montral last week for a shakedown / HPDE I was instructing at.

The car misbehaved a little as usual, starter motor issues plagued my weekend. However I was able to turn some fastish laps in the time trial and took home first in class with a time of 2:00 flat. (PA class = highest level of modification) I suspect once the car has actually been tuned, has the VVTi enabled (it currently is not but I have instructions from Ray to get on it once I replace the starter). The car also currently only has a rough alignment and suspension setup. it is super high in the air, and doesnt even have sway bars on it yet. I suspect the car will have low 1:50's / high 1:40's in it once it is dialed in and I get used to it.

Here is an in car video shot with my Hero HD cam, synced into the Race technology DL1 datalogger and dash which I now have working with the ViPEC via RT serial cable. However I have yet to do all the scaling on the feeds form the ViPEC.

Video is only the out lap and one semi hot lap as I ran out of battery power in the camer due to user error.

More info on Race Technology DL1/Dash 2 - ViPEC integration soon.

Guest |599|

Any pointers on the Dash2 / DL1 to vipec connection mate

Have the lead connected ok and ecu config to 57k baud and tried datastream off and request short

But nothing as yet, hopefully something simples

Already had working with my old Autronic by the way

CHeers Adam :)