Link thunder sometimes doesnt log data

Cozcorners

Its the 2nd time now that my link thunder hasnt logged... first time was at world time attack 2017 and i had i believe Rob from the link stand look at it. When he went to check it it was setup to log at anything above idle and when he looked over it and had me start it, it was showing to log, but had no log of previous run/session.

I then had a practice day 3 days ago and went to download the logs... nothing, no logs of my 6 laps or so! 

I would of cycled the car a few times by getting it off trailer, doing 2 sessions and then putting it on trailer, unload back home etc...

I have the setup to start logging above 800rpm.

Anyone else had this issue?

Ecu firmware 5.6.5.3389.

Pc link firmware 5.6.5.338 build date 15 feb 2017

It actually had 2min or so (but i say that was nothing because it should have over 20min of logged data, the 2min or so is just from idling, must of been when unloading it off trailer or such), i know this as i checked it and water temp is cold and no reving past about 3000rpm ,but the log should of been a lot more as i had 2x sessions which were about 15min ea

This is what i got out of it today

20180528_155804.jpg

I then started it today to see if it was logging without any changes, and it was as you can see the highlighted.

Screenshot_20180528-160739.jpg

Then checked the log again and you can see it logged another 30/40seconds or so...so its working!

20180528_161739.jpg

I have received your email.  I dont see anything in your settings that would cause it but I will load your map into my test thunder here and run it on and off over the next few days to see if I can reproduce it.

Ive been thinking...

Since i have it to start logging from 800rpm, what happens is when my car is cold, it will idle at say 700rpm(no idle motor), gradually as it starts warming up the idle will raise and get to the point where the logging will start, but whats happening(i was watching) the logging would flicker on/off/on/off etc constantly for a good say 30sec until the engine warms up more and passing the 800rpm threshold and settles to a 920/950rpm idle once fully warmed up.

During this constant on/off, maybe at some point the logging freezes and stops recording because its going haywire in those 30seconds or so. 

But in saying that, that would also happen if you were to set it to turn on at anything say over 5% tps, or anything over 1psi boost etc... during a race it would also be going on/off hindred times...

What i might try anyway, is for it to start logging at anything above 500rpm, that way it starts logging at first startup and doesnt stop logging until switched off( that way i eliminate the flickering on/off of the logging when my idle reaches the 800rpm point ) does that make any sense what im trying to explain? If you can try mimicking the on/off constantly and see if it freezes(stops logging ) at some point that may show up? But you cant be resetting the power to it as you may miss it freezing up, just like how it started working again on mine after i power cycled again...

Yeah, my thoughts are something odd like that is going on, it hasnt been reported before so it seems something unique to your setup.  It wont hurt to change your activation RPM as a test and I will try to test all other possibilities as best I can.

Hi, This happens quite a bit on my Thunder too, but not my Fury.

It can be frustrating going for a test run only to get 0:00, But I find if I click Delete log, then open logging setup, make a change, press F4 and F2 and exit the software, my logs build up for as long as I don't touch any ECU logging settings

Thanks for letting link know, good to see im not the only one with the issue. Maybe more people will come in after reading this post.

Problem is, i like to download the log after every race , i dont let it get full. But still dont understand how after many cycles and 2 race sessions i only ended up with 2 and a bit minutes of log! When did it start to log? When did it stop? And now currently logging again! Just weird...

23 minutes ago, mikegt4dude said:

Hi, This happens quite a bit on my Thunder too, but not my Fury.

It can be frustrating going for a test run only to get 0:00, But I find if I click Delete log, then open logging setup, make a change, press F4 and F2 and exit the software, my logs build up for as long as I don't touch any ECU logging settings

Hi Mike, can you send me your map too.  You will find my email address a few posts up.  I havent been able to reproduce this yet but I will mention it to engineering to see if they have any thoughts.  It may only be a very specific set of operating conditions that cause this so I think it is going to be hard to find.

Hi Cozcorners; I've noticed that too, sometimes if I download the log (I use quick view) without deleting it, say it might be 36 minutes long, If I check on it again, sometimes it adds to it just fine to a point where it appears to be full and is over-writing earliest entries (which is fine or to be expected), BUT other times it goes to 2 minutes of garbage and then 0:00 and gets stuck there and never adds any legitimate data to the log. Always the fix seems to be to f*** around in the settings and try and keep the total logging usage to 30% and make sure you get in there before 36 minutes of log and make sure you delete is the most important part.

Hi Adam, Will do.

PS. Just to re-iterate, On my Fury I can do anything the software lets me do/click on and it all functions as it should and I use the same Laptop, same software install on both cars.

I have this problem with my fury. 

Seems to be mostly after I have changed something in the tune, which is the worst time because that's when you need it most.

Will work fine for weeks, then change something in the tune, drive the car, and go to pull the log and it says 0:00 duration.

Sunday I was racing all day, total logged time at the end of the day was 17min, lol. Should be 27min. Drove the car 2 hrs to the track. Where did that go?

Today I was tuning idle, and logging on laptop. Parameters showed ECU logging status "logging"         ECU logging memory use "100%".

Go to upload the log and duration says 0:00.

I had a similar issue with my fury when I logged and downloaded nothing would show of value.

After traction control not working I just took it that logging didn't have enough capacity to properly do so....

Hi Cozcorner

Option to stop logging on/off during warmup.

Change ECU logging on trigger to a Virtual Aux Output. Acts as latched trigger.

That is will start logging once over 800 rpm and stay on until engine stops.

Virtual Aux #

Switch Logic    (1 or 2) and 3

Condition 1      rpm >  800

Condition 2     Aux Virtual Value1 = ON     Set number to #

Condition 3     rpm > 10

Can change the values to better suit your requirement.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy for another suggestion on how i can set it to start logging.

Is there a reason why this method would work better then say set the activation trigger rpm at >500(or any other low number like 200rpm) in the normal logging setup? Or did you try both ways and found your method fixed the "sometimes not logging issue"? When setup via normal activation trigger in the logging setup...

Cheers.

Hi Cozcorners

There is many options, it depends on your requirement.

Yes setting Log Trigger to rpm > 50  would work fine. You there using 800 rpm ????

My option is for my race car.  So if speed > 25kph start logging until ignition is turn off.   Allows the race engine to warmup and NOT record data during warmup, therefore saving memory to allow fast & many data points recording during the race.

Possible explanation for your NOT logging, there MAY be a limit in the firmware on the number of recording starts. So once you start recording keep it active until the end. Only one start.

Cheers

Andy

Nice. How would i setup to start logging above a certain speed like 25km until engine off? Thats a good idea.

Yes i want to try for it to log only once and stop when engine off, that may be the fix for my intermitant logging on and off.

• 2 months later...

I've also had this same issue with my Link Thunder. It's setup to log when launch control is turned on, but only logged some garbage logs at Powercruise. At Chrome, the logging worked fine though. I'll make sure I delete the log so hopefully it works next time as well. Be nice to have a fix.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce this one on the bench.  I run Cozcorners map in a Thunder here for weeks of on/off testing and it always logged, trying quite hard to do everything I could to upset it.  However I will ask Engineering to take a look at this thread and see if they can come up with any thoughts next time they are looking at the code.

@Adamw I had a similar issue to this with my altezza plugin unit.  Im pretty sure you still have copy of my map.  I noticed it when at a drift event.  I got about 3 45min logs out of it and there was one in the middle that should have been similar length but was just 00:00.  When I pull the log I open in quick view then delete the data that I just pulled off.

• 4 weeks later...

Was there ever a solution to this?

Twice I have gone to download my log after a track day and it just shows 00:00 log like it has been re-set.

It will create a log if I start the car in the shed or go for a little drive so know it is recording just fine.

I was thinking how long does the ECU store the log for when un-powered? 

From when I turn the kill switch at the track to the time when I get home to download the log file from the track it can be 3-4 hours. 

Would that be enough time for the ECU to clear its memory? 

Thanks, I just have an Atom G4+ if it makes any difference.