V88 and G4+ file tunes issues

WCP

I have an older V88 ViPEC (2008) for a watercraft, i have a couple tune files from a new ViPEC G4+ and wondering if there will be any issues? My ViPEC V88 software was updated to current. I tried to open these new tune files from desktop using this software update and would not open it. Do i have to buy a newer ViPEC to run these files or is there an update again for my older V88?  The new ViPEC is the V88R3, mine is the older V88. 

The V88R3 terminology was something Riva decided to use for some reason.  The V88R3 is not a V88 at all, in Link language it is an i88 or G4+.  You will not be able to load a G4+/i88/V88R3 tune file into an older V88 ecu.  Only the newer generation ecu will work with the V88R3 file.  The easy way to spot it is the file extension, You old V88 uses a .pcl file extension, the newer ecus use .pclr files.

Yes the Riva V88R3 is based on our G4+ hardware.  It will take any of the .pclr files and you can also load in the older .pcl files (although these need to be manually checked after importing).

There are many differences between the old V88/G4 and the new G4+(V88R3) but how important or useful those improvements are to you will depend on your individual wants and needs.  Here's a few that I can remember:

The G4+ software is nicer to use and has many improvements in terms of shortcut keys and tuning functions etc.  The G4+ has much better onboard logging.  The G4+ has more tables available and is more flexible in terms of tables axis choices etc.  The G4+ has much more complete flex fuel strategies and a proper VE based fuel model.  Knock control has been improved significantly in the G4+.

• 8 months later...

Hey Adam, Myself and a buddy of mine own 10 Vipec V88R3 and out of the ten V88 4 of them have the Yamaha RIDE software which I believe is a A after the model. However the remaining 6 we have, to our understanding do not have the RIDE software. Brad my friend is a RIVA dealer and they are telling him that the Vipecs are no longer going to be offered for sale any longer! Man that sucks, we LOVE your guys ECU and has done us well! So my question is the Vipecs that I have can they be updated to get the RIDE software or is it impossible to do with the units that we have? Is it a software update and or a hardware install and update? Thank you for your time.