Problem with TPS in G4+ecu subaru plug&play

Ted

Hi there all,

i am still having problems with my tps and Ap on my plug and play ecu to a subaru forester.

The problems that i am facing is that the calibration is perfectly fine till one day after cruising for 5-10mins and you try to accelerate suddenly it pops up the ECU FAULT CODE73: AUX9-10 SUPPLY ERROR and the car has no gas and pedal at all. it is very crazy!! And the most of it is that i can make an accident!!!!!

It has done it 3 times the last 3 months....!!!

please advise !! It is serious !!

Thanks 

Ted

28 minutes ago, StijnDvx said:

Check the engine coolant temp sensor wirring to make sure the pins are correctly ground and 5v 

why?? whats the connection with the TPS?? 

with my oem ecu everything works fine!! no faults no nothing .

Can you do a pc log of a short drive, 5 minutes or so will be fine.  It sounds like your most likely reason will be there is a small error some where causing one of the error accumulators to count up.  These will only cause the system to shut down once they reach 100 so it will only be certain types of driving or actions that cause it.

A short log should give us some clues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1LRANeO4A

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

Can you do a pc log of a short drive, 5 minutes or so will be fine.  It sounds like your most likely reason will be there is a small error some where causing one of the error accumulators to count up.  These will only cause the system to shut down once they reach 100 so it will only be certain types of driving or actions that cause it.

Thank you very much for your reply !

i will do this today and i will send it over.

Thanks again!

Ted

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

14 hours ago, Cnstman said:

subscribed.  I had this issue once on my 04 USDM STi. I did both of the ethrottle relearns and so far it has not came back.  

Thanks man.

The thing is that it does it whenever he wants,,,,, no particular time..... 

i have done 10000 times the calibration

On 6/19/2018 at 5:30 AM, Adamw said:

here is the log file..

it didn't do anything yesterday

it doesn't let me to upload the file..... it says that i haev only some space... why is that?

It appears the problem is your E-throttle PID is a little too aggressive, after quick throttle movements your TP overshoots the target and gets a bit of oscillation, this causes the TP/Target error accumulator to count up.  It only gets as high as 6 in this log and it needs to get all the way up to 100 before it will trigger limp mode so you are a long way off that in this example but in situations where you have lots of fast throttle movements or are on/off the throttle a lot it will count up much quicker.

You may need to get a tuner involved to fix this but there is no harm in having a play yourself if you are keen.  Just first save a copy of the current map so you can load it back in if you mess anything up or make it worse.  It is easiest to set up a time plot similar to mine below and also have the E-throttle settings on the same page.  Hit F8 so that the time plot is running live then try adjusting the P/I/D one at a time while moving the throttle to see which one helps or makes it worse.  The idea is you want TP main and sub to follow E-throttle 1 target as close as possible.  With PID tuning there is always a compromise between response speed and stability.  If settings are too mild the response will suffer, if they are too aggressive you will get instability/oscillation like you see in your log.  So it looks like you are close and will only need a small adjustment to tame it down a little.

0CPfTaH.png

Thanks very much for your reply!

i have a company that we tune cars here and i am a tuner too.

so i will get to this asap.

Thanks very much i will get back to you as soon as i have some results.

Cheers

Ted

Adam is the first spike in Teds log normal with quick throttle openings ?

I am setting up ETH for first time on a motorcycle and cant dial it out when the throttle is used aggressively  (its actually a V88 on that bike if that makes a difference )

7 hours ago, Greg W said:

Adam is the first spike in Teds log normal with quick throttle openings ?

I am setting up ETH for first time on a motorcycle and cant dial it out when the throttle is used aggressively  (its actually a V88 on that bike if that makes a difference )

Yes it is normal to have a little over or undershoot spike - there is always a compromise with PID.  However the problem in the screenshot above of Teds is it takes about 1/2 a second for the oscillation to settle down, that is too much.

Bellow is a log from an RX8 throttle I calibrated recently, if you look closely you will see just a tiny undershoot after a quick throttle close but otherwise the TP sits nearly right on top of the target trace fairly well.  I would consider this quite acceptable.

5Iy4zT3.png

48 minutes ago, Greg W said:

Thanks, i can induce or get rid of the oscillation, but the spike seems to be a constant , at the level pictured in your first example 

If it is only a short spike then the error accumulator shouldnt count up which means you will be ok.  Watch the TP/Target error accumulator and if i is getting over about 10 during normal use then you might need to improve it otherwise you should be good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 1:10 PM, Adamw said:

If it is only a short spike then the error accumulator shouldnt count up which means you will be ok.  Watch the TP/Target error accumulator and if i is getting over about 10 during normal use then you might need to improve it otherwise you should be good.

Hi there Adam,

listen in a high way speed traffic it is very dangerous when the ECU cuts the TP<7.5%!! as the car is immobilized and prone to an accident! This should be raised to at least 15-20% (in firmware) in order  to safely maneuver the driver and maintain the control of the car to the emergency lane! Irrespective on the nature of error the limit MUST be raised!!

Cheers

Ted

2 hours ago, Ted said:

Hi there Adam,

listen in a high way speed traffic it is very dangerous when the ECU cuts the TP<7.5%!! as the car is immobilized and prone to an accident! This should be raised to at least 15-20% (in firmware) in order  to safely maneuver the driver and maintain the control of the car to the emergency lane! Irrespective on the nature of error the limit MUST be raised!!

Cheers

Ted

The ECU has no control over what TP the throttle body closes to when it switches power off in safety mode.  It will close to whatever opening the OEM designed the spring system to achieve.  The idea is this should only happen when the ECU cant control the throttle and the only option is to shut off power and kill engine.