Introducing RealDash - A Dashboard App for Android & Windows

Adamw

Hi All,

The developers of RealDash have been working with us to make their app compatible with Link ECU's.  It is now compatible.

For those that havent seen it you can learn more here: http://www.realdash.net/

In my short play it seems to work well and has lots of cool features.  Lap timing, navigation, configurable alarms, live graphs, live streaming of data, music player, etc.  The app and a selection of basic "skins" are totally free, then there are some more fuller featured paid for "premium skins" that do more stuff such as data logging and may look cooler these are still relatively cheap ranging about $3-$10.  One example below.

Right now it wont work on the Atom, Monsoon, Kurofune or Black Storm as the serial stream is not enabled in those ECU's but we hope to enable that setting in the next couple of months.  Right now it will work in the Blue Storm, Xtreme, Fury, Thunder, all Plug-ins & Force.  It will also work on old G4/Vipec V series ECU's.

Connection to your tablet/smartphone is direct using your normal Link USB tuning cable, for phones/tablets that only have a micro USB port you will need a "Micro USB OTG adapter".   Instructions for setup and connection attached to bottom of this post.

Edit 18 Jan 2020;

Have added a zip folder with an example configuration for CAN connection using the generic USB or Bluetooth CAN Adapters (see realdash website for supported adapters).  This config also includes an example of how to send an onscreen button press to the ECU.

RealDash.pdf

Realdash CAN example.zip

22 hours ago, 434josh said:

But RD doesn't offer any tuning options, just a dashboard, correct?

Really wishing a raspberry pi dash would work with PC Link.

Correct, it is intended as a dashboard display only.  

I asked realdash on Facebook and this was the answer

These values are in 'ECU Specific category'.

Since these values are generic and user configurable RealDash does not know which generic input is used for what purpose, thus they cannot be mapped directly to AFR etc.

So thats to bad :(

On 7/6/2018 at 6:14 AM, gijsje said:

I have this working now but i do not see the wide band connected to AN Volt2 or any other sensor connected to AN Volt (oil pressure, Oil Temp, fuel pressure)

Is there anything i need to change somewhere?

Thanks in advance

On 7/6/2018 at 9:43 PM, JMP said:

had the same issue with AFR not displaying, I'm waiting for a new tablet to arrive before I look into it more

Here's how you do it:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ynfTPGEdv66t1SfTVrf1hsk6QOM3AkX/view?usp=drivesdk

3 minutes ago, JMP said:

Awesome, thanks Adam!  I'll have a look through the list to see if it's possible to display the lambda coming in via CAN

Oh, that one will be a problem unfortunately, I dont see a way to make that work.  I think we will have to update our serial stream if this becomes a common problem.  

14 minutes ago, nilsp said:

Downloaded the app for IOS the other day, but Link was not listed as source.

The source list was less than the one pictured in the configuration PDF file.

If you read the title of this thread it says “A dashboard app for windows and android”. There is a reason iOS is not mentioned.  iOS doesn’t support usb serial port or Bluetooth serial port so it will only work with a few ECU’s that have an Apple approved WiFi bridge.

14 minutes ago, nilsp said:

Downloaded the app for IOS the other day, but Link was not listed as source.

The source list was less than the one pictured in the configuration PDF file.

I though it would be pretty foolproof, I havnt had one problem connecting.  Did you powercycle the ECU after storing the datastream settings and leave PC Link closed?

Have mine (V44 vi-pec) working on both win10 laptop and android 7” tablet with OTG hub. Looks like a slight delay on the android tablet which may be a pain as I particularly want for shift light display but I haven’t played with the software/settings enough to see if config my way around it yet. Any reason why I couldn’t increase the baud rate output from ECU and change the connection speed in RD?

I played with this a little with my Fury set up on the kitchen table this weekend. Got it to connect following the instructions given in the .pdf above.

I didn't work on it much more after that as my ECU is not connected to a car... and I read about the AN Volt issue. Glad You posted a fix for that Adam, thank you!

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Have mine (V44 vi-pec) working on both win10 laptop and android 7” tablet with OTG hub. Looks like a slight delay on the android tablet which may be a pain as I particularly want for shift light display but I haven’t played with the software/settings enough to see if config my way around it yet. Any reason why I couldn’t increase the baud rate output from ECU and change the connection speed in RD?

Any tricks for win10? Worked straight away on my note8 android tonight. No luck with windows still

10 hours ago, MagicMike said:

Any tricks for win10? Worked straight away on my note8 android tonight. No luck with windows still

Not really mate. I followed the instructions and Win10 worked flawlessly and very simply. It is the same laptop I use for tuning so all the drivers are already installed etc.

I’ve had more issues getting android to work however that’s somewhat due to the fact I’ve never used the OS begore. 

Has anyone worked out if skins / configs are transferable between OS? Would be much easier to build a custom display using keyboard and mouse then load up on android tab. 

17 minutes ago, BradB said:

Not really mate. I followed the instructions and Win10 worked flawlessly and very simply. It is the same laptop I use for tuning so all the drivers are already installed etc.

I’ve had more issues getting android to work however that’s somewhat due to the fact I’ve never used the OS begore. 

That's strange, as I'm using the same in-car pc I use for tuning also haha On about the 3rd screen of connection settings, I have 2 choices to pick 'Link ECU (com3)' or the 'PC name'. Tried both, without any luck. Did you get a similar choice?

Plugged in my android and it just worked.

6 hours ago, MagicMike said:

That's strange, as I'm using the same in-car pc I use for tuning also haha On about the 3rd screen of connection settings, I have 2 choices to pick 'Link ECU (com3)' or the 'PC name'. Tried both, without any luck. Did you get a similar choice?

Would expect com 3 would be the right one to use as mine uses com 4. I’ll check my settings and share tonight 

7 hours ago, MagicMike said:

Did you try rebooting the tablet and ensuring PC Link is not opened so the COM port is not reserved by PC Link?

22 hours ago, BradB said:

Looks like a slight delay on the android tablet which may be a pain as I particularly want for shift light display but I haven’t played with the software/settings enough to see if config my way around it yet. Any reason why I couldn’t increase the baud rate output from ECU and change the connection speed in RD?

Just played with this, have updated V44 output baud rate to 115200 and changed connection to match and now have practically 0 lag between input and display.  Very very happy boy. Now to play with some display config screens.