VVT Settings for Mazda 3 Engine

Furai

Got my engine all up and running only thing I havent been able to get working is the VVT.

I have tried using it as a switch or with a table and it seems to basically turn full on or full off. 

Theres no in between and when it turns full on it basically limit cuts the engine.

Is there settings I should be using for it or does anyone have some settings they know work?
I have it wired to aux 1 and 12v

17 hours ago, Furai said:

Got my engine all up and running only thing I havent been able to get working is the VVT.

I have tried using it as a switch or with a table and it seems to basically turn full on or full off. 

Theres no in between and when it turns full on it basically limit cuts the engine.

Is there settings I should be using for it or does anyone have some settings they know work?
I have it wired to aux 1 and 12v

attach your map

11 hours ago, pattun@NC3 said:

Hi. Is the problem a symptom like a movie?

I am troubled with this symptom.

Is Trig2 waveform changed in idlespeed and about 3000rpm?

Yes it is the same as that but happens at different RPMS depending on how you set the parameters. 

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

attach your map

Here is the Map, we tried VVT as a switch or as a table(The Map has it set as Duratec but we tried Mazda 3 and MX5 as well. Its a Mazda 3 engine but a 2.0 so I would expect it to be the same as the Mazda 3 setup?) and both times it wouldnt change anything until a certain value was reached and it would stall the motor like the video above

NA6CE MZR 145whp no-vvt.pclr

You are on very old firmware, can you first update to the latest firmware.  Then load in the attached file and run the "can angle test" to determine Trig 2 VVT offset (test pulse count = 6).  Once that is entered, turn off the cam angle test and try commanding the cam to advance, report back results.

sLHkncr.png

VVT settings.pclr

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 5:16 PM, Adamw said:

You are on very old firmware, can you first update to the latest firmware.  Then load in the attached file and run the "can angle test" to determine Trig 2 VVT offset (test pulse count = 6).  Once that is entered, turn off the cam angle test and try commanding the cam to advance, report back results.

sLHkncr.png

VVT settings.pclr

Right so went through and did all those things as well as counting the teeth on the cam, I ran the cam angle test and had the values reading constantly. When I tried advancing the cam it said it could not sync cam signal? Is there another setting I need to put in as the lugs for the cam sensor pickup are not evenly spaced?

3 hours ago, Furai said:

When I tried advancing the cam it said it could not sync cam signal? Is there another setting I need to put in as the lugs for the cam sensor pickup are not evenly spaced?

No the tooth pattern is hardcoded when you choose Mazda 3 VVT mode, the cam angle test is just used to "zero" the home position.  

Can you attach your map as it is now.  Can you also do a triggerscope at idle.  Here is a quick how to video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiYbYlZQuRHPmieMTkwQDCXEb2LY

• 2 weeks later...

According to the manual the "VVT Offset" value should be set to the lowest cam angle displayed during the Cam Angle Test. You still have this value set to 720deg. In your case it should be 95.4deg.

Edit: I have just noticed that you have DI1 and Trigger 2 both set as Inlet/LH. As far as I'm aware the Mazda engine only has the one CMP sensor, so this is probably going to give you issues as well.

• 3 months later...

Note this is a trigger problem, not a VVT problem.  I have had some email correspondence with the other user in this thread "pattun@NC3", a few months ago including many triggerscopes and other tests.  Our Mazda 3 trigger pattern will not work with this engine as the cam pattern is too different.  It works when the cam is at home but as soon as the cam advances the features that we use to synchronise are lost so the ECU will lose engine position.

I have passed all the data on to our engineering team but it is going to need a completely new trigger decoder written so it may take some time.

11 hours ago, Simon said:

You have tried the offset at 118? 

Yes I did i also tried moving it point by point below and above the lowest number on cam test.

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

Note this is a trigger problem, not a VVT problem.  I have had some email correspondence with the other user in this thread "pattun@NC3", a few months ago including many triggerscopes and other tests.  Our Mazda 3 trigger pattern will not work with this engine as the cam pattern is too different.  It works when the cam is at home but as soon as the cam advances the features that we use to synchronise are lost so the ECU will lose engine position.

I have passed all the data on to our engineering team but it is going to need a completely new trigger decoder written so it may take some time.

Thanks Adam, so if I make my own trigger setup do you think it will work? This is actually a 2010 Mazda 3 motor but may be differrent to the normal Mazdaspeed 3 motors Im guessing the trigger setup is for