Mitsubishi RVR - EvoLink G4+ Trigger Issue?

crazynick505

Hey guys,

I have just hooked up a EvoLink G4+ to my Mitsubishi RVR that has just been through a fresh rebuild of the bottom end. It is a Super Sports Gear model, so I'm not 100% sure if it is all exactly the same as an evo 3 engine but does look to be.

I have been able to get everything calibrated and try a test start but have found it to not really want to run well and gives me constant trigger errors. I have attached a trigger scope log.

Can anyone tell me if the scope looks good? I can't seem to find any definitive information on Link ECUs and these RVR engines but I know people get them to work somehow :P

I feel like it may have something to do with the coil setup being slightly different but I'm not 100% sure there either. I have also attached a pic of the way my stock coils are set up.

I swapped cylinder 2 & 3 with 1 & 4 and this seemed to run (but not well). If I leave them in the stock position it doesn't seem to want to fire at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rvrtrigger.jpg

263901s.gif

Something definitely is not normal with that triggerscope.  The phasing between the cam and crank looks quite different to what we expect.  Maybe cam timing is out or the other thing I have seen happen is the crank disc put on back to front.  

Im not sure if either of these ideas will work or not but try changing trig 2 edge to rising.  If that doesnt work you could try the Evo 7-9 trigger mode.  You will need to re-do the base timing after either of these changes.

Hmmmmm

I think there must be a difference in the way timing is set up on my Super Sports gear against the Hyper Gears/Evo 3s
I just swapped my stock ecu back in and it runs fine :S

I might have to do a bit more research into the differences between the two engines.

Would it still be worth trying the Trigger 2 rising config?

13 hours ago, Adamw said:

Im not sure if either of these ideas will work or not but try changing trig 2 edge to rising.  If that doesnt work you could try the Evo 7-9 trigger mode.  You will need to re-do the base timing after either of these changes.

I have attached the scopes while cranking for Evo 1-6 trigger mode, Evo 1-6 trigger mode with trig2 set to rising and Evo 7-9 mode.

They all seem to be off and generating trigger errors
I found that my sensors are the 2g style 7-bolt 4g63 type sensors (One on the crank pulley and one on the cam gear). I'm not sure if this would make a difference here?

Also, do you happen to have an example of what the scope should look like?

Thanks heaps.

evo1-6-standard.jpg

evo1-6-trig2rising.jpg

evo7mode.jpg

I would guess that swapping the edges on the cam sensor would be the way, the crank sensor in the case of our 1g vs 95-96 (2ga) cars works ok, its just the cam sensor under the cam gear that is reversed, they went back to the 1g type of cam signal in 97-99 with the cam sensor being mounted back on the other end of the intake camshaft.

6 minutes ago, motomattx said:

I would guess that swapping the edges on the cam sensor would be the way, the crank sensor in the case of our 1g vs 95-96 (2ga) cars works ok, its just the cam sensor under the cam gear that is reversed, they went back to the 1g type of cam signal in 97-99 with the cam sensor being mounted back on the other end of the intake camshaft.

Oh right, you did say just the cam sensor :P I've got the stock ECU back in to do the run in for a little while but I'll be giving this a go shortly after so keen to see if this helps out.

The second scope log in my above post shows the Evo 1-6 Trigger setting with the Trigger2 edge changed over to rising. Does that look correct? I have no idea what it is meant to look like haha.

Thanks for the help :) 

Im saying just the cam sensor was what worked for us over here in the states on our early 2g 7 bolt cars when we wanted to run the older ecu or the newer ecu and it sounds like what you might need to do, what seemed to work easily for us was to use the older 6 bolt cas which provides both the cam and crank signal for the ecu.

2 minutes ago, motomattx said:

Im saying just the cam sensor was what worked for us over here in the states on our early 2g 7 bolt cars when we wanted to run the older ecu or the newer ecu and it sounds like what you might need to do, what seemed to work easily for us was to use the older 6 bolt cas which provides both the cam and crank signal for the ecu.

I do have an older CAS sitting around that I grabbed a while ago in case I needed to use it. Might be worth giving that a go by the sounds 

I use a RVR head with the cam angle sensor mounted under the inlet cam gear in a rwd application and I had to invert the cam signal using a simple circuit with an optocoupler to get the standard evo 1-6 settings to work correctly in the G4 storm I'm using.

5 hours ago, David Lee said:

I use a RVR head with the cam angle sensor mounted under the inlet cam gear in a rwd application and I had to invert the cam signal using a simple circuit with an optocoupler to get the standard evo 1-6 settings to work correctly in the G4 storm I'm using.

Yes, you can build a circuit with a 7404 hex inverter if your so inclined, or use the 1g cas.

Thanks heaps guys!

I couldn't seem to find any info on this anywhere! Probably because we don't have DSMs over here and RVR searches don't get you very far :P

This makes sense now and I think I'll go for the 1g CAS route since I have a black plastic capped one sitting around :)

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

What does this engine actually have for the triggers?  Does it have a CAS off the back of the head with both trigger 1 & 2 inside or does it have a separate trigger on crank and cam?

It has the separate sensors. One on the crank and one behind the intake cam gear.

Your trigger pattern is basically the same as the Evo 1-6 but with trigger 2 inverted.  Thats why I originally suggested swapping trigger two edge setting.  After you reported that didnt work I was confused so discussed it with one the Engineering team today.  The reason it didnt work is the sync point is "hardcoded" and it is actually looking for a certain combination of cam level and crank levels which now doesnt happen with the inverted cam. 

So apart from whats also been mentioned such as changing to the CAS or an electronic inversion, one other option is to grind one of the teeth of the cam wheel, then you could use "1 tooth per TDC"  trigger mode.

Ahhh righto, fair enough. Thanks for finding that out Adam :)

Since I already have the CAS sitting around and also have a set of HKS cam gears that came with the shell originally.. I'll go with the CAS I think :P

After the run in etc, I'll put it all together and report back

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/2/2018 at 10:37 PM, crazynick505 said:

Swapped in a cam/crank sensor from an evo 3 today and made up a loom to match up with the RVRs cam+crank sensor plugs. Put it all back together and started perfectly using the Evo 1-6 Trigger mode :) No errors whatsoever.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hey nick,  trying to fit the evo 1 2 3 computer in the rvr, can get the car to run by changing the leads around on the coil, runs but not very good, stock computer is better. How did yo do all the cam/crank changes do you have pictures. The rvr doesn’t have the cam sensor on the side of the head like the 1 - 3 motors do.

cheers 

15 minutes ago, 350xcf said:

Hey nick,  trying to fit the evo 1 2 3 computer in the rvr, can get the car to run by changing the leads around on the coil, runs but not very good, stock computer is better. How did yo do all the cam/crank changes do you have pictures. The rvr doesn’t have the cam sensor on the side of the head like the 1 - 3 motors do.

cheers 

Most people don't realise that the Super Sports gear which ran the small camshaft Evo 2 engine actually had a mid-life revision, early Super Sports Gears had a CAS on the cylinder head, later ones had a Crank Angle Sensor added.

Yeah, sounds like I have the model with the crank angle sensor added, do you know what’s involved with making the evo computer work on the rvr with the sensor as mentioned? I have all the evo parts added minus the computer as I can’t figure out how to make it run properly with it.