Old link - fuel pump issue .

Chris77

Hello

Usual story , a mate dropped a car off saying the fuel pump does not work anymore . Says its been iffy for a while now but now dead . Had the wiring checked and been told its the ecu .

I am not familiar with link ecus . The sticker on the outside of his says "Link Reluctor , D42V2 , 220704" . If I was to guess , from another post I read here , this is a g1 link and next guess is its ignition  trigger is a reluctor  .

I will go and check all the wiring for myself first but I was just trying to get an idea on what the ecu can do . Wondered if the fuel pump output was iffy could it be swapped to another output . This does not look possible , again a guess as another post said to read the lemv4 manual . Is a fuel pump output a common failure ? If it is crock is it worth getting the ecu looked at , if so where ? 

Thanks

Chris

Simon will probably have more to offer specific to the ECU tomorrow as he knows these better than I but you are right this is a G1.  If you manually bypass the FP relay so the FP runs all the time does the engine then run?  My thought here is that it could just be the ECU is not commanding the pump to turn on due to no trigger signal or some other issue with the rest of the system/wiring.  If the engine runs with the fuel pump manually powered up then that eliminates a lot of the possibilities and we can then just concentrate on diagnosing the fuel pump circuit.

Hello

I am yet to check the car myself and I learnt a while ago to always take what is said with a grain of salt etc . However the guy says the car runs fine when they hot wire the fuel pump . I have checked and they are hot wiring the pump back at the pump , not as I would have say across the relay . This just means I have to back track all that wiring and check it out . He advises someone has already done that and replaced the relay , hmm , theirs that grain of salt again as I do not think a professional auto sparky would wire in the relay the way it is . They have smashed out the back of the factory fuse/relay box and poked an aftermarket relay in there , bare terminals just individually pushed on to the relay pins . I am not a professional auto sparky either for the record . When looking at the relay I noted 3 factory wires and 2 addon's , yes 5 wires on the relay odd . After reading the lemv4 manual it says the fuel pump wire is purple and one of the add on wires is purple , so atleast I am on the right track . 

The car only got dropped in my lap last night and I am going away for a few days this afternoon so once I am back I will check out the wiring side first and if it checks out look into the ecu and what can be done .

Thanks

Chris

The V4/5 wiring will cross over for that unit. The Outputs are mostly fixed and not able to be shuffled around. 

The most common issue on those old units is the solder joints around the main header fail.

Well I had a look at the car last night , the fuel pump relay was faulty . Odd as that is what the owner said was replaced and as I said not done how I would have liked . You dont leave an aftermarket relay with bare terminals pushed on the ends floating around in a factory relay box . Anyway still no go (well maybe) so after verifying the pump worked when the pin in the ecu connector was earthed I pulled the ecu out . Looking at the header joints as suggested above , it appeared the fuel pump connection was cracked , I would have missed it had I not been specifically looking . I could have been looking for a fault that was not there but given the pump issues and only the pump connection looked bad I decided to resolder the connection . The rest of it looked good , I found a date on a sticker inside , something 2004 , so reasonably old . Put the thing back in the car and it still did not go , then I remembered the kill switch and it was away . So now I am doubting my self and did I turn it on after fixing the pump relay . Reasonably sure I did but ...

So thanks for the info , its great to be able to get a little help with these old units . It means the guy can carry on racing the little car for a few more years before an upgrade .

So now to go and find a wiring/pin out for a G3 , a mate pulled a 1600 turbo out of a car with the ecu to put in his 4x4 . If I am ever going to get it out of my shed I had better get it running .

Thanks

Chris

8 hours ago, Chris77 said:

So now to go and find a wiring/pin out for a G3 , a mate pulled a 1600 turbo out of a car with the ecu to put in his 4x4 . If I am ever going to get it out of my shed I had better get it running .

G3 manuals are in the G3 forum here:  

Have a look for one named G3 LEM WIring and Installation Manual.