9 and 10 second Subarus

Guest |266|

AngleOutside8.29.10.jpg

Two of our customers, Jason (96 Impreza owner) and Brian (04 STI owner), wanted ten second Subarus and we got the cars together and tuned within a few days of each other. We went to the track with the car owners and both cars ran tens. It was great to deliver on the ultimate goal for two involved buildups the first time driving the cars. ViPec made it easy for me to dial the cars in on the dyno and log/tweak them at the track.

After telling Jason to go easy in 1st-3rd gears and then gas it in 4th so I can check the tune, he ignored me and ran a 10.5 on his first pass. Luckily his tune wasn't optimal, but it was safe and I tweaked it a little for his subsequent passes.

His Impreza has a cage so he got to run a few more passes and they were all in the tens. He ended up with a 10.30 at 135 mph at 21-24 psi. We intend to run more boost with his setup in the future, but 21-24 was plenty to meet the build goal so I left it there for the first time out. By 21-24 I mean the car ran about 21 psi in 1st/2nd gears, 22 in 3rd, 23 in 4th and 23-24 in 5th. He spun like mad in 1st gear on slicks so we'll probably back off the boost level or launch control settings for first gear in the future.

This is the same Jason that has a 10 second 2006 STI we work on and tune so now he has a daily driver 10 second STI and a track 10 second Impreza. I expect the track car to go into the 9's without much effort. He prepped the chassis and put the suspension, brakes and some other parts on the car before bringing it to us for the rest and he did a great job.

We used a V88 universal kit and made a harness from scratch for this car which you can see in the engine bay picture below.

I took a camera phone video of Jason's 10.3 at 135 mph pass:

http://innovativetuningdl.com/video/JasV/Jason10.30At135.0-desktop.m4v

EngineBay08.29.10.jpg

JasVDrag20vs24psi.jpg

Jason's two 10 second Subarus:

2-10secondSubarus.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian had me drive his STI since I have more experience with higher HP cars and his STI is a real handfull now. I refused to run it at full boost on the street to test it after dyno tuning the car to 576 whp. Those who know how our dyno reads understand what that number means. For a street car, it's a bit nuts. I did try running full boost in 4th gear on his street tires at the track so we'd know whether he should drive the car like this on the road. I won't be trying that again. Picture flooring a stockish STI on snow in 1st gear.

I went through 1st-3rd gears out of boost, then floored it in 4th gear and hit the brakes to avoid getting kicked out twice. That way I got to do a little logging and adjusting on the tune, but the track officials were onto me as you'd expect with four slicks on a Subaru.

I was told to run the car and if it was too fast without a cage I was getting thrown out. I knew I only had one chance so I made the tune safe and tried to run a smooth pass with easy shifting. My launch settings were too conservative and the car bogged. My boost settings were also too low in 1st-3rd gears since I didn't get to test those. Then I shifted WAY too early, costing me 100+ WHP in some areas. Somehow it still got the job done.

Brian's STI went 10.7 at 134 mph and has a lot more in it if we were given the opportunity to run more than one full pass, but that will have to wait until a cage is installed.

As I went down the return road I was stopped and told I was not to come back without a roll cage. The track officials were fair about it and I thank them for letting me go down the track once without a cage. One pass is better than none. :)

This car is running the ViPec plug and play V88 kit for 2.5L 04 STI.

Here's a few shots of Brian's 04 STI street/show car:

AngleOutside8.30.10.jpg

ITCustomReversePiping1.jpg

Brian04STIVs08STI.jpg

Both cars are running E85 fuel from local pumps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! We took the drag car to the track for a second outing and got a 10.0 at 142 MPH pass followed by a 9.9 at 141 MPH out of it.

AtEmpireDragway9.10.10-2.jpg

AtEmpireDragway9.10.10.jpg

It was car #88

scan0004.jpg

Video of 10.0 at 142 pass:

http://vimeo.com/14883560

Videos of 9.9 at 141 pass:

http://vimeo.com/14883631

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jas ... HbIRWEHTEs

The car headed for the wall in first gear on the last pass, but Jason put it in 2nd and got it straightened out. By the time he shifted to third I knew he had his 9 second pass. Getting through the first couple gears somewhat cleanly was all that was holding him back. The car is spinning far too much in the first few gears. Hopefully we'll get the launch and boost settings dialed in better our next time out. Domestics were breaking left and right so we only got a few passes in.

These passes were at 28-29 psi of boost.

Thanks! Just 2 weeks ago a guy put down 531 whp on a Dynapak and then 408 whp on our dyno in back to back testing so part of that is the way other shops are jacking up their dyno numbers. Our dyno seems to read about 18% lower than normal Dynojet numbers.

The street car has a lot of mods, but I'll try to hit some of the highlights.

ViPec V88 kit for 04 2.5L STI.

Innovative Tuning Weekend Warrior Shortblock and stage 4 heads with 272 street cams, Innovative Tuning custom air/oil separator.

UR uppipe, Precision 6765 turbo, Innovative Tuning downpipe, Tial BOV and 44mm Wastegate

Perrin header, lightweight cat back exhaust, Innovative Tuning custom intake and heat shield.

Perrin intercooler core modded by Innovative Tuning to 2.75" in/out, Innovative Tuning custom reverse route intercooler piping

Stock intake manifold, throttle body, transmission, front axles.

ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft, DSS stage 5 rear axle/hub assemblies, ARP front extended wheel studs, Exedy triple ceremetallic clutch/flywheel combo.

Stock ignition system. (With AEM EMS an ignition box was required.)

ID2000 2200cc injectors w/T1 rails, Innovative Tuning high output Subaru fuel system (modified stock sending unit with Bosch 044 in tank with custom filter sock, -8 line out of sending unit to Innovative Tuning surge tank feeding 2 Bosch 044 pumps with -8 to front of car, splitting to -6 AN for each rail, Aeromotive FPR, etc.

• 9 months later...