Sign in to follow this  
flipski

350z timing question

my 2003 Z has 3 marks on the pulley, 2 of them are painted and 1 unpainted. The unpainted one is TDC and I thought the painted ones are 10 and 15degree BTDC.

When running the timing calibration I end up with 2 offsets depending of the mark I choose. At TDC , I need -2 offset but I need 4 for 10deg. That's a 6 degree difference. Are my triggers screwed ? or I assumed wrong and the painted mark on the pulley are 15 and 20degrees ?

The FSM only shows the mark at TDC and does not make any reference to the other 2.

Thanks.

Lock your timing at 0deg and adjust the trigger offset until your are reading on the TDC mark. That way you can be certain your on the right track rather than guessing what the painted marks might represent.

Also adjust ignition delay so that when you hold the revs up the timing doesn't wander off the mark.

3 minutes ago, Leiden said:

Lock your timing at 0deg and adjust the trigger offset until your are reading on the TDC mark. That way you can be certain your on the right track rather than guessing what the painted marks might represent.

Also adjust ignition delay so that when you hold the revs up the timing doesn't wander off the mark.

I did this ^. But I was just curious about the other 2 marks.Thank you.

You could manually enter 15 or 20 in the timing table and see where the marks line up if you were curious. How did you measure the timing? Loop wire or ignition lead between the coil and plug

11 hours ago, Leiden said:

How did you measure the timing? Loop wire or ignition lead between the coil and plug

I put a lead between the coil and the plug. just wanted to grab the latency of the coil too. but taking it from the wire to the coil gives me very close readings too. it is almost like the coil have a very small latency.

Sounds like you did it properly. I've checked both ways and find the loop wire can give off readings compared to running a lead from the coil to the plug