Problem trying to use ABS sensor

Serkan

Hi I'm trying to use a 2 wire magnetic ABS sensor by connecting one side to ground and one side to a digital input however I haven't been able to get a signal in any way. I thought the sensor may be bad and I put a brand new one but still the same result. I do get some feedback that something is going on when connecting and disconnecting the sensor but nothing at all when turning the wheel. The car is a VW Golf Mk2 and I'm using the original ABS sensor. Would anybody have any thoughts on what I could try? thank you very much.

When I took out the Old sensor I noticed that it has is magnetiç (I.e. pulls metal towards it ) and it's also two wires so I supposed that it was a passive sensor however I will try to dig up some info and get back to you thank you very much

Jaycar do a speedo corrector, which will convert signals too...and it is cheap.

Or a lot of Vauxhalls have a little yellow "relay" which basically does the same thing. Obviously it isnt a relay, but it is encased as one made by Siemens

Although if you're tagging onto an ABS sensor dont expect the ABS system to remain happy in most cases

Thanks will check out the Jaycar converter. Would you happen to know what Vauxhall models may have the yellow "relay"? I couldn't find too much info on my ABS sensor but as I understand it has a higher chance of being a passive sensor. Was just thinking if I should just feed it 5v to test if its active and see what happens.. 

On 10/10/2018 at 3:43 AM, Simon said:

Likely the voltage output from the sensor is still too low to register. The faster you spin the wheel the bigger the output will get and I suspect eventually give a signal. 

Our digital inputs can already accept a VR sensor input directly, there should be no need to a VR conditioner unless it has a very low voltage or something?

A VR conditioner will detect low voltages more accurately than a TTL input...

I haven't been able to read a voltage with my multimeter but my multimeter only has a 240v AC option which still gives a 0.1v resolution but I'm not sure if it is sensitive enough. But if you are saying that these VR conditioners are up for the job, I will go that route

On 10/15/2018 at 8:09 PM, Serkan said:

Thanks will check out the Jaycar converter. Would you happen to know what Vauxhall models may have the yellow "relay"? I couldn't find too much info on my ABS sensor but as I understand it has a higher chance of being a passive sensor. Was just thinking if I should just feed it 5v to test if its active and see what happens.. 

https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/challenge-accepted.274506/page-4#post-2364070