assorted wiring queries g4+ fury

mrharvey1301

Hoping i could get some clarification on the following,

currently in the process of wiring a g4+ fury, aim strada 1.2 dash and LS1 coils

1st query is on the signal ground for the LS1 coils,

can i wire the signal ground and the power ground both to the engine block? as per picture? Not sure if the sensor ground is required to pass back into the ecu

2nd query is on the aim strada can wiring

on the aim wiring i have can 1+ and can 1-, can i wire these into can 2 l and can 2 h on the b plug and program to talk with the can setup in g4+ software? i figured this was easier than getting the correct plug for the link to wire into can1?

3rd query

the 5v supply for generally sensors is there a limitation to how many sensors you can run off this 5v supply? i've noted from factory it is spliced into 2 wires, if i run 10 sensors that require 5v feed for example do i just splice this 5v feed 10 times?

Does the same go for the green sensor ground wire and seeing as A/B plug each have their own grounds are the sensors required to be grounded relative to the plug they came from?

New to using link and wanted to confirm rather than assume

Appreciate any assistance

Coils.jpg

27 minutes ago, mrharvey1301 said:

Hoping i could get some clarification on the following,

currently in the process of wiring a g4+ fury, aim strada 1.2 dash and LS1 coils

1st query is on the signal ground for the LS1 coils,

can i wire the signal ground and the power ground both to the engine block? as per picture? Not sure if the sensor ground is required to pass back into the ecu

I wire power ground to a ring terminal connected to an inlet manifold bolt straight into the head, Signal grounds must go back to the ECU (wherever possible)

2nd query is on the aim strada can wiring

on the aim wiring i have can 1+ and can 1-, can i wire these into can 2 l and can 2 h on the b plug and program to talk with the can setup in g4+ software? i figured this was easier than getting the correct plug for the link to wire into can1?

Wire the CAN 2 high and low on the ECU to the ECU+ and ECU- on the Aim Dash loom.

3rd query

the 5v supply for generally sensors is there a limitation to how many sensors you can run off this 5v supply? i've noted from factory it is spliced into 2 wires, if i run 10 sensors that require 5v feed for example do i just splice this 5v feed 10 times?

usually no practical limit if you are using factory sensors.  If you are making your own potential dividers, select resistors which minimise current draw but give a high enough signal to noise ratio.  You can check the +5 Volt supply, by going into runtime values in PClink (F12) and look at the ECU status tab.

Does the same go for the green sensor ground wire and seeing as A/B plug each have their own grounds are the sensors required to be grounded relative to the plug they came from?

I wire the sensor grounds into pin 24 on the A plug and pin 22 on the B plug.  It is good practice to keep the sensor grounds close to the input associated with them.  Use pin 7 on the A plug for trigger grounds, and pin 17 on the B plug for knock grounds. 

New to using link and wanted to confirm rather than assume

Hope this helps,

Richard.

Appreciate any assistance

Coils.jpg

11 hours ago, Greg W said:

No expert but I grounded my bikes to chassis with both wires, and works fine 

joined power grounds and earthed the single output wire to chassis (be the head for a car)and same with signal gnd , same point on chassis for both 

I've wired microtechs the same way in the past i just wanted to get confirmation as i'm building a loom for this, be a bit of a pain to have to change

Hopefully someone has had experience with this specific wiring previously

The correct wiring for the LS coils is to run the signal ground back to the ECU sensor ground.  I have seen many do as you say and connect both the power and signal ground together directly to the head but that is not ideal and could potentially cause random sparks.  The reason is the transistor on these coils is quite sensitive so you only need about a 1V offset between the signal ground wire and the trigger wire to cause the coils to start charging.  So the idea is if the signal ground is connected to the ecu sensor ground then it is referencing the same ground as the ignition output (no offset).

1 minute ago, Adamw said:

The correct wiring for the LS coils is to run the signal ground back to the ECU sensor ground.  I have seen many do as you say and connect both the power and signal ground together directly to the head but that is not ideal and could potentially cause random sparks.  The reason is the transistor on these coils is quite sensitive so you only need about a 1V offset between the signal ground wire and the trigger wire to cause the coils to start charging.  So the idea is if the signal ground is connected to the ecu sensor ground then it is referencing the same ground and the ignition output.

yep this is exactly what i was worried about

my next query was seeing ign outputs 5/6 come from the b plug, should i run individual sensor ground wires relative to the plug set they came from.  I figure there is a reason link has sensor ground wires for both plug sets instead of a universal sensor ground?

or do i just wire them all back to the green sensor ground wire on any plug?

Thanks for the info

Chris

Just now, Adamw said:

No you dont specifically need to go to a sensor ground on the B connector for 5 & 6.  They are very low current (mA) so you can just splice all 6 together near the coils somewhere and run only one wire back to the ecu.

Great that was the plan, great support of your product btw i see you post regularly on guild of efi tuners

Thanks Chris