Audi TT 1.8 20V Trigger errors

sbn1979

I have trigger errors with a VW polo running a 1.8T 20V, the ecu is a link xtreme pnp for audi TT, the engine harness pin config im told is the same and on pinning out the harness pretty much is, ive attached a log and you can see the odd rpm log, ive started from using a TT base map and the car runs but barely. Im not fully up to speed with these engines so my question is, is th TT base map the right trigger for the 1.8 20v, now the base map says reluctor type but its a 3 wire sensor hall effect sensor by looks of it?

josh.pclr

Log 2018-11-11 2;13;30 pm.llg

Ok, your cam teeth are in a different place to where they normally are on a TT.  For the "Cam Level" sync mode to work the cam voltage needs to be high during one missing tooth gap then low voltage for the next the missing tooth gap, in your scope below you can see the cam trace (green line) is low for both missing tooth areas so its not going to work.

Try the Holden V6 Alloytec III trigger mode, it looks like this might work for you.  You will need to set trig 1 to reluctor after changing to that mode and set base timing again.

NVqKfzi.png

Ok, Im going to have to give your trigerscope to engineering so they can check if it will work with any of our existing trigger modes.  Unfortunately it is a public holiday here today so I wont have any further news until Monday.

Can you try the Holden V6 Alloytec II trigger mode in the meantime, I dont see much difference between the two from the info I have available but they may use different sync points so its worth a shot.

BBU / BJX are the same...  What was the difference in the loom between the BBU and BJX?  They share the same setup between the BBU, BJX, BKV & BLZ from NOV 2004 on-wards.    The CAM Angle Sensors in a lot of the 06A motors had problems.  Have you checked/changed this and can you confirm the CAM sensor wheel is the 4-window instead of the 1 which was in the early 058 motors?

Ok, I have discussed this with engineering, they think your trigger pattern should work with a new GM trigger mode that has been added in the next firmware version.  I will send you a PM with a link to a test version of 5.6.6 and some instructions.

Having said that Im puzzled why your cam teeth are in a different place to most VAG 20V 1.8T.  Is this engine a hybrid mash-up of bottom/top end? or is the cam timing potentially off?

TBH Adam its a car that a customer has sent me already built up and needed wiring only and the link ecu setting up on a base map just to get it running, now i personally checked timing on the belt side and that is correct but other side is chain driven, so this would be my next logical step, customer has said engine has been built by a professional so youd expect it to be right but who knows? if i carry out the following and it still doesnt work, you suggest checking timing of the chain side? Thanks mate been loads of help

30 minutes ago, sbn1979 said:

TBH Adam its a car that a customer has sent me already built up and needed wiring only and the link ecu setting up on a base map just to get it running, now i personally checked timing on the belt side and that is correct but other side is chain driven, so this would be my next logical step, customer has said engine has been built by a professional so youd expect it to be right but who knows? if i carry out the following and it still doesnt work, you suggest checking timing of the chain side? Thanks mate been loads of help

I dont know these engines very well, but in the few scope captures we have from other stock 20V 1.8T engines, the crank gap (pink arrow) is about where I have drawn the green arrow (about 9 teeth to the right compared to yours).  This is about a 36 deg difference, but since I have never seen inside one of these engines I dont know what can cause this - there may be something timed wrong or it may be something like the crank wheel is fitted backwards (I dont even know what is possible on this engine).  Or it may just be an engine we havent seen before and it came like this from the factory.  Our notes suggest the BBU should match the common VAG pattern though.

ox6E5xN.png

That's the correct CAS for the intake cam on the 06A.

There's heaps of documentation on how to set CAM timing online.  Below are some photos of correctly timed cams according to factory specs ATDC. 

I can't exactly remember which way the locating peg on the intake cam wheel sits (apologies), but in my experiences with these motors, it's always best to crack open the valve cover and verify the chain and number of links between (16x) for confirmation.

06a cam lineup.jpg

06a cam lineup 2.jpg

06a cam lineup 3.jpg