CAN/RS232 PnP ecu

Gregconboy158

Hi, I'm wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me please. 

I have a Honda PnP G4+ ecu which has a CAN/RS232 port on the board. 

What I'm wondering is, can I use this to directly connect a tablet to stream data? I'm wanting to use a tablet as my main dash and doing it through this port will be much easier than having to unplug the tuning cable everytime I want to tune. 

If this is possible to use this port, can I charge and stream from the same plug? I know I can't with the normal tuning cable. 

Thanks, 

12 hours ago, Gregconboy158 said:

What I'm wondering is, can I use this to directly connect a tablet to stream data? 

Does your tablet have a serial port?

You are probably best just to look for a tablet that has more than 1 USB port or one that can do charge and data at the same time.

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

Does your tablet have a serial port?

You are probably best just to look for a tablet that has more than 1 USB port or one that can do charge and data at the same time.

No tablet doesn't have a serial port, I'm struggling to find a 8" windows tablet with 2 usb ports, 10" tablets can find easily but I feel 10 will be to big. 

I've got a connector and pins for the CAN port on the ecu board so was hoping to make a usb sub loom instead of the usual serial. 

On 12/7/2018 at 9:42 PM, Gregconboy158 said:

I've got a connector and pins for the CAN port on the ecu board so was hoping to make a usb sub loom instead of the usual serial. 

6 hours ago, Gregconboy158 said:

Bump anyone know ?

It is still not clear what you are trying to do?

To connect CAN bus or Serial to a tablet, it will still need a USB port and some sort of USB adapter, so how is this going to help over the normal ECU USB connection?

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

It is still not clear what you are trying to do?

To connect CAN bus or Serial to a tablet, it will still need a USB port and some sort of USB adapter, so how is this going to help over the normal ECU USB connection?

I'm hoping to use the can port to stream data and provide power from the fuse box to charge at same time through the same usb so then only needing 1 port. 

Plus it also means if I can use this port the wiring to tablet can integrate into the interior loom where as using the normal usb tuning cable would mean I need to leave it somewhat free for when tuning. 

I think you are missing the point.  Many tablets that have only one USB port cant charge and transmit/receive data at the same time.  The USB port is disabled when the charger is connected.  CAN or Serial is not going to help you because it will still need to enter the tablet through the USB port which is disabled.

Your best option will probably be to use OBD2 with a bluetooth OBD2 adapter.  You will have to use a 3rd party app though (not PC Link) and wont be able to do any tuning - just display.  

9 hours ago, Gregconboy158 said:

Ordered a 10" tablet in the end. Also ordered a usb extender cable so when I need to use laptop I can unplug from tablet and plug into laptop without having to worry about keeping the tuning cable loose from interior loom. 

If you plan on doing any road tuning, keep in mind you won't have a dash (speed/rpm etc) when you plug the laptop in for tuning.