Dual 3 Port Boost Solenoid Control

Grant Baker

Has anybody here run a pair of 3 port solenoids on a single External Wastegate in order to run big boost on a low pressure spring?

I have been investigating running 4 ports, but keep hearing the same issue of poor resolution.

On another forum I read about using a 3 port on the top of the wastegate and a second on the bottom of the wastegate, controlled by 2x ECU outputs.

Effectively though, they need to run in conjunction with each other (phase / anti-phase).

Any input / suggestions?

I dont see why it would work any better than a 4 port but if you want two 3 ports solenoids to work in phase/antiphase you would just plumb one in the normally closed mode and the other to the normally open mode, both wired to the same Aux output.

19 hours ago, Adamw said:

I dont see why it would work any better than a 4 port but if you want two 3 ports solenoids to work in phase/antiphase you would just plumb one in the normally closed mode and the other to the normally open mode, both wired to the same Aux output.

Ideally you need them to work at different duties so you can apply varying force to the two wastegate ports...

Just use a 3 port to do the same thing, but create a very small vent hole on the top chamber ( ie that blows the gate closed ). Circa 0.6mm or so, MIG tip is handy.

You lose a little top end pressure, but it makes control much easier overall. In most cases there is no need for separate control over 2 solenoids. Keep it simple.