Wiring Mitsubishi 3 pin speed sensor

DanDan

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to wire up a Mitsubishi Evo 6 magnetic 3 pin speed sensor (see picture) to an Evo 1-3 Link G4+ ecu?

I will be using DI 4 on the ecu if that's ok?

I'm sure it has

Pin 1 = 12v

pin 2 = earth

pin 3 = signal + 8v?

But im not sure where to get the power from or what to do about the 8 volts to the signal

Any help or advice would be appreciated 

Thanks Dan 

IMG_0948.PNG

Hi Adamw

I did think that's how it was meant to be so I wired it up like that and plugged the laptop in to see if it was working and it didn't register anything. 

So I checked the plug on an Evo 4 with a volt meter and pin 1 was 12v pin 2 was earth and pin 3 had about 8v coming from it.

So I'm not sure now and I can't seem to find any information out on google :(

Thanks Dan 

The pins should be correct as I have checked them on the Evo 4 as mentioned earlier. I even tried my sensor on his car and it works fine. So it can't even be the sensor. It's strange how the sensor wire on the Evo 4 has about 8v to it when the ignition is on. 

How I think the sensor works is that it has voltage to it and as the sensor turns it lowers/drops the voltage but I'm not 100% sure.

i know a hall sensor just has 12v, earth and a signal wire to work but I'm sure the magnetic speed sensors work differently?

could I do any damage to the ecu if I put a 5v feed to the signal wire to see if it would work?

Yes, that pinout looks correct, have you tried the following (no pull-up, the base map for the car with your sensor has pull-up off, but the 1-3 has pull-up on)

Mitsubishi EVO 1-3 G4+ Xtreme Plugin.pclr

image.png.ebe524525c1e1db5757960e21eb2bf7b.png

Mitsubishi EVO 4-8 G4+ Xtreme Plugin.pclr

image.png.b4b743b6496c4ab51f8e63e5fdf4917b.png

image.thumb.png.f011194b6631285ed546ffe530403b39.png

image.thumb.png.5091c55556ab8b4bf72366af49f33d73.png

image.png.aeeec2dfe23b2445a99efe08571407ed.png

the speed signal pin for your ECU is 66, (as opposed to pin 86 on the 4-8)

HTH,

Richard.

Hi Richard

Thanks for your reply as I didn't notice the difference when I was looking between both the Evo 1-3 and the Evo 4-7 files. 

Ive been in the garage today and roughly wired up the sensor again as I had before but changed the DI 4 pull-up resister from ON to OFF and it has sorted it.  

It's all wired up properly now and working as it should :)

Now hopefully I can finally get my car mapped and enjoy it this year fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your help Adamw and Richard hill 

Thanks Dan