Vvti setup errors

alexjohn

Read the cam angle test procedure in the help file, picture below shows where to find it.  perform the cam angle test using a test pulse count of 3 (the cam has 3 teeth).  this test will give you the offset to use for the trig 2 vvt offset setting.

Capture.png

The pulse count line should have disappeared when you set test mode to off.

You probably also want to disable inlet centreline display

Try setting your VVT screen to look like this. 

image.png.5052dd415dde92e39c856ed8ae039069.png

If that doesnt help, try running a trigger scope capture while at idle and post it here please. Maybe your cam trigger has a noisy signal of some sort.

Relevant things I can see in that log are:

triggering polarity looks ok and at what i'm guessing is idle rpm, that scope looks good.

Your error count never increases at idle, only at 1500RPM or above.

Your VVT target stays at 0 the whole time, so the ECU is not requesting the VVT control to advance.

Your VVT actual position reports as between 0 and 0.4 degrees but given the extra and missing tooth errors popping up i'm not sure I believe this. The ECU will need valid cam pulses to calculate this value.

So next steps:

Can you run another scope capture at 1800-2krpm, so we can see if there are errors creeping in at that RPM or if the cam signal has moved relative to the idle scope?

can you also try setting VVT RPM lockout to 3000rpm and see if the errors go away between 1500 & 3000rpm?

Can you please post up your trigger 1 & 2 threshold tables (or your whole config). It could be that at certain RPM the thresholds are too high/low and valid signals are being misinterpreted.

Right, the signal still looks clean but the cam is advancing relative to the crank. The top pic is your 2k rpm scope and the bottom one is your original scope. Between the 2 of them you can see the green cam zero crossing moves to the right at higher rpm. measuring the distances between the crank trigger zero crossings we can estimate that the cam has moved ~4 degrees. 

image.png.3c1a1137dc61d419b453e3589cbd772e.png

This is the zoomed in part here

image.png.0386e5a7551a2ee3f180ecb2d3c56f77.png

This cam pulse is very close to the missing tooth which can cause issues. Specifically if the zero crossing moves to the other side of the crank missing tooth it will treat it like the cam pulse is on the next/previous engine rotation. I'm not sure if it counts the downwards crossing at the beginning or end of the gap as the "zero" point but if its the one at the beginning, you will cross this at about 5 deg advance, which it seems likely you are seeing at present. Is it possible to adjust the cam or crank triggers on your engine to move the cam crossing and missing tooth crossing further apart in the engine cycle?

Have you tried setting the VVT RPM lockout at 3000rpm and/or unplugging your VVT solenoid to disable VVT? Then check if you still see these errors between 1500 and 3k. This isnt a long term fix but will rule out some things.

Also, please post the arming thresholds for your trigger1 & 2.

@alexjohn  Can you please attach a copy of your current map (.pclr).

2 hours ago, cj said:

Your error count never increases at idle, only at 1500RPM or above.

Your VVT target stays at 0 the whole time, so the ECU is not requesting the VVT control to advance.

Your VVT actual position reports as between 0 and 0.4 degrees but given the extra and missing tooth errors popping up i'm not sure I believe this. The ECU will need valid cam pulses to calculate this value.

I suspect there is nothing wrong with the signal now, to me it looks like he either still has the offset set wrong or some of the other VVT settings wrong such as solenoid frequency, thats why Im asking for the map.  There are a few reasons that could cause the inlet LH error counter - for instance, if the cam moves more than a few degrees below what it thinks is zero it will error.

15 minutes ago, cj said:

This cam pulse is very close to the missing tooth which can cause issues. Specifically if the zero crossing moves to the other side of the crank missing tooth it will treat it like the cam pulse is on the next/previous engine rotation. I'm not sure if it counts the downwards crossing at the beginning or end of the gap as the "zero" point but if its the one at the beginning, you will cross this at about 5 deg advance, which it seems likely you are seeing at present. Is it possible to adjust the cam or crank triggers on your engine to move the cam crossing and missing tooth crossing further apart in the engine cycle?

This is mostly only a problem with the generic trigger modes such as multitooth/missing, with the OEM and VVT modes there is a large tolerance of where the cam tooth/teeth can occur without upsetting the sync.  With the 1JZ vvt trigger mode the tooth that is close to the gap can drift across the gap without drama.  A little off topic, but just for your info since you seem interested, with the generic multitooth missing mode what we call the index tooth (where the trigger offset is measured from) is the 1st edge after the gap.  So this is normally the important area where you dont want the cam edge to drift across (again this is only relevant to the generic mode, not the 1Jz mode).  The trigger offset is the angular distance from the index tooth to TDC#1 compression.

That last log doesnt show any errors. There is a count of 1 before it started logging, but during that 2 mins of idle then revving it up a bunch of times, it doesnt error at all. So whatever changed between the last log and this one has helped. This proves that your cam sensor & wiring is fine. 

Now undo your changes 1 at a time until the problem comes back, then you know what your problem is. It sounds like you unplugged the VVT solenoid so plug that back in first but still leave it disabled in the ECU, this will prove whether oil pressure/bad wiring/etc is making the VVT solenoid advance on its own.

You say you have disabled VVT but I cant see where you have set this to disabled in you config. I would disable it here by settings RPM lockout to 10000rpm or changing cam control mode from 1JZ to off.

image.png.1b358038a10c75befe1561bc4742eb4a.png

Also as AdamW suspected, your VVT offset is not set correctly. this should be 174 (your log shows the cam2 angle move between 173.9 and 174.6) so you need to fix this before plugging the vvt solenoid back in. Seems like this is probably your main problem.

image.png.082724bf976e71d08584c7c73b484194.png

That is with the vvti solenoid connected? That then proves that your solenoid doesnt do random things when it gets oil pressure, and so the problem that causes the errors has to be in your config.

Set the trigger 2 VVT angle as in my post above, then set cam control back to 1JZ and see how it works now.

14 hours ago, alexjohn said:

cam control mode off and cam type.... is normal no error vvti

11 hours ago, alexjohn said:

vvti solenoid is connet cam control 1jz on .cam type off. no error

Im not sure what you are trying to prove here?  Of course with the VVT and cam position turned off there are not going to be any vvt errors as the ECU isnt even looking at it.

As I, cj & ClintBHP have already told you a few times above, set VVT mode to 1JZ, cam angle test off, set the trig 2 VVT offset to 174 and it will work.