STi DBC to DBW conversion

rocklizzard91

Hey everyone, I'm interested in swapping my drive by cable EJ207 to an OEM Subaru drive by wire  setup. I have already researched the required hardware needed for the swap, but I have a few wiring questions.

It looks like doing this conversion will use up a lot of my Aux/AN pins (approx 6?) I was looking over my OEM ecu pinouts vs the Link G4+ pinouts and it looks like there are a lot of pins that aren't used for anything anymore that could be used for aux functions if the Link can drive those pins still. For example the factory ECU has two tumble generator valves in the intake manifold that are used for emissions control and most users delete them. They are typical 0-5v  sensors to read valve position like a TPS. Is there any way to regain these pins functions in the ECU to use these pins for the E-throttle control and preserve the existing aux pins for extra sensors and motorsport function switches? Using these "dead" pins would open up a lot of functions!

I am also a little curious about wiring. I attached the Generic Internal E-Throttle wiring diagram.

I understand that Aux 9/10 are used to drive the throttle motor open and closed. But I dont understand the E-Throttle relay logic. Should I be running two E-Throttle relays (in this case off Aux 9 and 10) and that relay is grounded off the Aux pin to drive the relay? Or what exactly is the function of the relay?

image.thumb.png.0ec087d4735d264ea9b4a154de12116d.png

The ethrottle relay is a safety for the ECU to be able to cut power to all ethrottle systems if it detects errors. If it turns off this relay, it turns off its own aux9/10 input feed, which then means no control of the throttle body is possible as this input pin must be fed 14v to then output this power on aux9 & 10. The system runs fine as long as you get 14v to that input power wire from somewhere (eg your main relay), but its not recommended. The 5v and sensor ground wires you share with existing stuff.

All aux, ign, and inj outputs, and all analog inputs are effectively generic (subject to a few limits) so as long as you can free up 4x anVolt inputs, aux9 & 10 (must be these 2 for TPS control), and ideally 1 other aux/inj/ign output you can use ethrottle.  1 of the anVolt inputs will be the one you already use for TPS so you only really need 3x new anVolt inputs. You may be able to get away with only running 1x anvolt from the APS and 1x from the TPS but ive never tried this and it seems like a risky move.

Which model ECU do you have?

I guess that leads me to a few more questions. Where is the +14V input to the ECU from the throttle relay? It says AUX 9/10 on the diagram but then also has them output to the E-Throttle motor. Is there a specific +14V input I need to feed power from the relay? Or do I just pick one and tell the ECU?

I also was just looking through my file and noticed AUX 10 is not available? I do have it on my board on one of the expansion connectors, but it is not available for my AUX dropdown. 

I have a Link G4+ PNP V7-V9 STi ECU

aux10.jpg

If your ECU is reasonably recent (say less than a couple of years) then it has been designed to allow E-throttle upgrade easily.  Aux 9/10 outputs, the 5V and sensor ground and the 4 analog inputs for the TPS/APS are provided on the expansion connector 2.  The power supply for aux 9/10 is all built-in on-board so you do not need to add an external E-throttle relay.

11 minutes ago, Adamw said:

If your ECU is reasonably recent (say less than a couple of years) then it has been designed to allow E-throttle upgrade easily.  Aux 9/10 outputs, the 5V and sensor ground and the 4 analog inputs for the TPS/APS are provided on the expansion connector 2.  The power supply for aux 9/10 is all built-in on-board so you do not need to add an external E-throttle relay.

Adam, thanks! I do have a PCB REV V1.4 and it seems to follow the expansion connector you described! Thats good to know! As well as not needing the relay! Any idea why my file doesnt include Aux10 as shown above?

I do have a few other issues now that I am diving into things.

I was trying to map out all my available pins to see how I can make it all work and I think I may have some typos with the manual?

AN Volt 12

DI 10-11

AUX 11-16

are all available and have functioning setting in my ECU file but it not included on the ECU pinout diagram. This would make more sense that the ECU may use the pins I mentioned earlier. To further this, Aux 4 is labeled as "do not use". Just curious why it would be labeled as such. The OEM pinout says C-9 (aux4) is RPM, but in the file I was instructed to use IGN5 to drive the tacho (which worked without changing any wiring) and IGN5 is not labeled at all. 

Is their a more current wiring pinout diagram I may need to make sense of all this?

AN Volt 12 is not connected.  DI 10 is connected to the rear demister switch (may not be in the manual yet).  DI11 is not connected.  Aux11-16 is not connected.

Aux 4 and Aux 9 are used for E-throttle, these control Aux9 & Aux 10 outputs/wires (confusing I know), set up as below.  As per the note below, you also still need to assign a spare aux output (or virtual aux) to "E-throttle relay", even though there is not one connected externally.

You can download the latest version of the manual from the webpage for that ecu.

ao48wl.png

59 minutes ago, Adamw said:

AN Volt 12 is not connected.  DI 10 is connected to the rear demister switch (may not be in the manual yet).  DI11 is not connected.  Aux11-16 is not connected.

Aux 4 and Aux 9 are used for E-throttle, these control Aux9 & Aux 10 outputs/wires (confusing I know), set up as below.  As per the note below, you also still need to assign a spare aux output (or virtual aux) to "E-throttle relay", even though there is not one connected externally.

You can download the latest version of the manual from the webpage for that ecu.

ao48wl.png

Thank you for the help! That certainly clears things up! Just to clarify, I will use AUX4/9 in the ecu and physically wire the E-throttle with AUX 9/10 correct?

Are there plans to use any of those unconnected Aux/DI/AN Volts in the future? Or are they left over in the coding from other ECU's?

Would I be able to assign that "E-throttle relay" to one of the unconnected Aux11-16s?

13 minutes ago, rocklizzard91 said:

Thank you for the help! That certainly clears things up! Just to clarify, I will use AUX4/9 in the ecu and physically wire the E-throttle with AUX 9/10 correct?

Correct.

13 minutes ago, rocklizzard91 said:

Are there plans to use any of those unconnected Aux/DI/AN Volts in the future? Or are they left over in the coding from other ECU's?

All plug-in ECU's have the same electronics on board so that is why they all show in the software, how many of those inputs and ouptuts get physically connected to a pin though depends on how many pins the factory connector has and if there are any spare. 

17 minutes ago, rocklizzard91 said:

Would I be able to assign that "E-throttle relay" to one of the unconnected Aux11-16s?

Yes.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Jumping on the end of the topic...  So confirming I shouldn't need the Aux connector if I'm using a WRXLink107 to use Drive By wire, and assign an output to the E-relay even though I don't use it, and Use TPS main for the existing TPS sensor. (DACVS motor conversion in a non-WRX). 

I'm not going to use DBW ATM, But i'm configuring the wiring so I can in the near future. I need to redo the pedal box linkages to make the DBW Throttle pedal install work.

( Apoligies... I've Migrated off Autronic.. Lots of relearning stuff!)

14 hours ago, kaptainballistik said:

So confirming I shouldn't need the Aux connector if I'm using a WRXLink107 to use Drive By wire, and assign an output to the E-relay even though I don't use it, and Use TPS main for the existing TPS sensor. (DACVS motor conversion in a non-WRX). 

Correct you likely wont need to use anything on the expansion connector.  And correct you can use the same TPS input for cable TB or electronic throttle.

However you will need to add a DBW relay unless your chassis already has one (the V10 WRX that this ECU was designed for already has this separate relay). 

The E-throttle relay is triggered by pin C28 (ignition 8), and when energised, the relay supplies 12V to pin C1.   

E-throttle motor+ is pin D4 (aux 9) and E-throttle motor - is pin D5 (aux 10).

BhPsIdp.png

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

What do you mean by "will the cruise control still be able to utilised in doing this swap" - do you mean your car had factory cruise control with a cable throttle and you want to keep it?

With E-throttle you can certainly have cruise control but you will need the cruise switches wired to the ecu.

2 hours ago, Adamw said:

What do you mean by "will the cruise control still be able to utilised in doing this swap" - do you mean your car had factory cruise control with a cable throttle and you want to keep it?

With E-throttle you can certainly have cruise control but you will need the cruise switches wired to the ecu.

Hi Adam, correct. The vehicle currently has cruise control - so two cables to throttle, 1 for cruise and 1 for normal throttle use. If I follow the wiring from the switches on the GD wrx with e throttle then surely i can replicate the same on the LINK ecu?

I wired in my AVCS this way (car didnt come with avcs so first swap was avcs with a newer GD ecu then the link)

Ok, I have never heard of a wrx with the old cable type cruise control.  I’m not sure if your existing cruise switches are connected to the ecu or to some other seperate black box, but if not you will need to connect them to the ecu.  You also need a brake switch connected to the ecu as well for cruise from memory.  So with those changes you will be able to have cruise control via DBW.

Just now, Adamw said:

Ok, I have never heard of a wrx with the old cable type cruise control.  I’m not sure if your existing cruise switches are connected to the ecu or to some other seperate black box, but if not you will need to connect them to the ecu.  You also need a brake switch connected to the ecu as well for cruise from memory.  So with those changes you will be able to have cruise control via DBW.

Its an 02 ADM Wrx (South Africa). It does have a black box in the engine bay that the other cable is connected to. Will post an update here with pics once the hardware is connected.