Vvti not working

Ra29wc

Hi, so I have a 3sge Beams motor with G4 Monsoon ecu, Mark Panic wiring harness, Toda Racing 264/265 cams, itb’s and the car runs but when I took it to get dyno tuned it seems the vvti is not working. The tuner tried to ad more timing to the cams to see if they will change but nothing happens and the power will drop. Is there an option in the ecu where you have to turn on and set when the vvti should kick in? 

4666BBAC-50B6-4D3C-BCF1-A85706A4F0CF.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ra29wc said:

Is there an option in the ecu where you have to turn on and set when the vvti should kick in? 

The beams has fully variable valve timing, it is not just on/off like the old Honda VTEC.  It sounds like something isnt set up right.

Can you do us a short log and attach it and a copy of your tune here.  This video will guide you how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1LRANeO4

When you do the log, make sure the engine is up to normal operating temp and hold it at say 2000-3000RPM for a few seconds.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, Adamw said:

The beams has fully variable valve timing, it is not just on/off like the old Honda VTEC.  It sounds like something isnt set up right.

Can you do us a short log and attach it and a copy of your tune here.  This video will guide you how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1LRANeO4

When you do the log, make sure the engine is up to normal operating temp and hold it at say 2000-3000RPM for a few seconds.  

vvti prob.llg

Can you attach your tune file (.pclr) also.  It doesnt look like VVT is set up at all from your log.  The VVT target is zero for the whole log.

Has this been tuned already?  It seems there is a lot of stuff not working right in your log?

That is a log file not the map.  To save the map/tune/config/calibration, whatever you like to call it, you just connect to the ecu then go >file>save as.  the file will have a .pclr extension.  The video that I linked to in my first post shows you how to do this.

6 minutes ago, Adamw said:

That is a log file not the map.  To save the map/tune/config/calibration, whatever you like to call it, you just connect to the ecu then go >file>save as.  the file will have a .pclr extension.  The video that I linked to in my first post shows you how to do this.

Oh ok sorry about that I’m not that experience with tuning or computers. 

So it looks like most of the inputs and outputs have been set up correctly, but the VVT target tables just have zeros in them (well the intake has one row with small numbers in it but nothing useful).  It also looks like the intake might need the VVT offset adjusted as the intake cam is reading about 2-4deg advanced in its home position.  Tell the tuner to do the cam angle test on the inlet cam, using a test pulse count of 3, then use the result of this test as the trigger 2 VVT offset.  Instructions below.

Or63txO.png

The tuner can possibly copy the VVT target tables out of our Altezza base map but as you have aftermarket cams he will need to make sure it is safe to do so from a valve interference perspective.

Here are your VVT tables (top) compared to our Altezza tables (bottom):

4cUIyiV.png

9m4duYy.png