CAN information

rocklizzard91

Hey everyone, I am unfamiliar with CANBUS in general, and have a few questions.

I am curious how limited the CAN network is, what kind of stuff can I do? From what I have been able to dig up, CAN sensor inputs are limited to exhaust, fuel and oil pressure if I remember correctly. What can I use CAN for as far as input switches go? I was hoping to use a pair of ECU Master rotary switches for launch control and boost control as well as a few toggle switches for activating water injection, intercooler sprayer, anti-lag, etc. Is that something I could use a CAN converter for? Where could I learn some more about this kind of stuff? The help file is a little slim on specifics.

This was referred in another thread I found, but I'm not sure this could be used for something like the rotary switches?

https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/analogx-4-channel-analog-to-can-interface/

List below of what can be received over CAN bus in the current firmware.  On/off type switches could be received as CAN Digital inputs so you have 8 generic ones there you can use for turning functions on/off, switching tables etc.  

The generic CAN Analog inputs are a little less flexible as you cant use a calibration table to assign meaningful units/scale to them.  So they will be fine for basic stuff like your rotary switches but less useful for something like accelerometers where you want it to read in "g" instead of volts.

Yes, the autosport labs device could be used for the rotary switches.  ECU Master also have one with 8 x switch inputs and 2  analog inputs:  https://www.ecumaster.com/products/can-switch-board/

9FS64pO.png

Thanks Adam! You are always a huge help! I appreciate it!

Typically AN inputs are 0-5v and DI inputs can be 0-12v correct?

Looking over the list, it does remind me I was going to ask about the "Subaru Cruise SwA" and "Subaru Cruise SwB" Digital inputs. I have a V7-9 WRX PnP Link G4+ in my Subaru and plan to swap the DBC to DBW and would like to use the Link cruise control with my factory cruise stalk. I haven't looked at the wiring for my stalk yet but it looks like those might be pre-calibrated for use? just run the A and B wires to DI's and assign them for cruise use?

45 minutes ago, rocklizzard91 said:

Typically AN inputs are 0-5v and DI inputs can be 0-12v correct?

AN Volt inputs can measure 0-5V.  DI's cant really measure voltage, they just look for high or low.  They switch on when voltages goes above about 1.5V, and switch off when voltage drops below about 1.0V.

1 hour ago, rocklizzard91 said:

Looking over the list, it does remind me I was going to ask about the "Subaru Cruise SwA" and "Subaru Cruise SwB" Digital inputs. I have a V7-9 WRX PnP Link G4+ in my Subaru and plan to swap the DBC to DBW and would like to use the Link cruise control with my factory cruise stalk. I haven't looked at the wiring for my stalk yet but it looks like those might be pre-calibrated for use? just run the A and B wires to DI's and assign them for cruise use?

The suburu cruise switch is just simple on/off momentary buttons.  Connect one side to +12V and the other to 2 DI's.

Awesome! thanks!

One last question, once I have one of the autosport labs converters plugged into the G4+ do I get to assign what each AN channel gets "read" as? for example can I assign them as all 4 DI's or two AN channels and two DI's etc. There are a TON of inputs on the list you posted. How does the software decide what each parameter on the list you posted gets read as from the converter? Will each channel have a drop down menu to assign them? 

Note the autosport labs device has 4 analog inputs - although you could make 2 work like DI's by enabling the pull-up.

As for assigning what each channel does - you do that in the CAN set up screen.  Lets say Byte 0 in the CAN message is analog input 1 on the AnalogX device, so in the Link CAN setup screen you assign Byte 0 as CAN ANV1 or whatever parameter you like. You will also likely need to add scaling so that their units match our units etc.

I can help you with the set up when the time comes.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

above the topic i know the CAN can be digital input setting.

the CAN digital input 1~8 is mapping to physical Digital input 1~8?

or its possible to setup the CAN digital input independent the physical digital input ?

how could I edit it?  cuz I only can see the can dig#  status in parameters page  does not show at ecu setting page with a independent table .

thank you 

擷取60.PNG

擷取61.PNG

They are separate parameters to the physical DI pins.  There is no set up, they should be received in as a 0 for off and a 1 for on.  

You can use them just like a normal DI on a table axis, to turn items on/off, or in virtual auxes and other control functions.  Some examples below, Launch control activated with CAN DI 1, hi/lo boost activated with CAN DI2, 2 step RPM limit activated with CAN DI3.

n9bhCrN.png

Use a virtual aux and GP output to add more conditions to a function like this.  So for example if the Fan relay is connected to Aux 4, and FAN override switch is DI 5, set up like below.  Aux 4 will activate on when virtual aux 1 is on or DI 5 is on.  

image.png.8fd8dfb5b3f9b9e75d0bec292598d2fc.png