Best Way To Test Cam Angle Sensors

Jeffersonc

When data logging, what would be the best way to observe and test can angle sensors for scatter/spark drift? Specifically the CAS on the RB series engines. I have been collecting some sensors and would like to test them on my test vehicle so I can use on some of my other higher performance builds.
Would I want to watch the ROC?

Timing light would probably be the most relevant test.  From a log, dwell time will often indicate if trigger edges are being received with regular timing, but that is going to indicate more that you have an issue or not rather than the quality of the signal.  

A good cost effective upgrade for the RB's is the kit from NZ Wiring, it takes 10mins to fit, plugs in to stock wiring and is usually a big improvement over the stock system.  https://www.nzwiring.com/index.php/product/trigger-kit/

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out a few sensors yesterday, funny that they all were very stable when in "set base timing" mode and revving the engine up displayed little to no timing drift but after some logs dwell and ROC were jumping around. I found one sensor that was the most stable out of all 3 tested. 

Question, with that cam cam trigger kit which I am seriously considering,  being that the mount plate isn't adjustable like a standard CAS, when in "set base timing" mode I'll want to change that pre-set 10 degree value to whatever read out I'm getting from my timing light on the damper? Usually I would just adjust the CAS until I get my 10 degree reading. 

7 hours ago, Jeffersonc said:

Question, with that cam cam trigger kit which I am seriously considering,  being that the mount plate isn't adjustable like a standard CAS, when in "set base timing" mode I'll want to change that pre-set 10 degree value to whatever read out I'm getting from my timing light on the damper? Usually I would just adjust the CAS until I get my 10 degree reading. 

No, you adjust the trigger offset number until the timing light shows the same timing as set in the "lock timing to" box.