citycash

phil till

I have contacted many ECU manufactures including Link to determine what would be a suitable ECU for my UK spec 1991 Toyota Corolla Gti-16 valve.
The engine is the 3rd Generation 4AGE and has it's own KNOCK sensor and MAP sensor but does not have O2 sensor.
I had narrowed down the ECU options to the Atom G4+ but have had conflicting messages from Link support
So, before I click the buy it now button and possibly end up with the wrong ECU.
Can some one confirm whether or not the Atom G4+ can manage my KNOCK sensor and MAP sensor

The Atom does not have knock control.  The lowest cost ecu we have with knock control is the Storm which is quite a step up in terms of price.  

Are you boosting it?  If you are staying NA I would not bother with knock control, you will have to do something pretty wrong to make one of those things knock dangerously.

The engine is stock other that hight lift cams

It won't ever be boosted

The engine as it's own KNOCK sensor screwed into the cylinder head,

If I disconnect the knock sensor from, the engine, the car is undriveable

Why would I not bother with knock control,  the 30 year old standard ECU has managed it

ECU Pin Out Identification

AE92 4A-GE 16V Non-TVIS (1990-91)

ECU Connections AE92 1990-91 Japan Spec

Socket Q (Gray 12 pin)

Pin #

Color

Label (ECU)

Connection

B-R

B1

EFI Main

R-W

Batt

BATT

Blu-G

CCO

Exhaust Temp Sensor

G-R

FC

Curcuit Opening relay(fuel)

G-W

ELS1

Stop Lamp Switch

R-Y

ACT

A/C Amplifier

B-R

B

EFI Main

R-Y

W

Check Engine Lamp

R

EGW

Exhaust Temp Warn. Lamp

B-W

A/C

Air Conditioner clutch

V-W

SPD

Speed Sensor (instrument panel)

B

ELS2

Idle Up Diode

Socket R (16pin Gray)

Pin #

Color

Label (ECU)

Connection

not used

BG-R

PIM

Vaccuum Sensor

W

THA

Intake Temp Sensor

W

THW

Vaccuum Sensor

not used

B

OX

O2 sensor

not used

R-W

VF

Diagnosis Connctor

BR

E2

Throttle Position Sensor

R

VTA

Throttle Position Sensor

Y

VCC

Vaccuum Sensor

Blu

IDL

Throttle Position Sensor

not used

B

KNK

Knock Sensor

Blu-W

T

Diagnosis Connctor

BR

E21

Vaccuum Sensor

Socket S (26 pin Gray)

Pin #

Color

Label (ECU)

Connection

not used

B-W

STA

Starter

B-Y

IGF

Ignitor

R

NE

Distributor

G

G2

Distributor

not used

not used

R

ECT

TEMS Suspension Contoller

B

VISC

VSV Idle Up

not used

not used

G-R

Injector 1,3

BR

E01

not used

B-W

NSW

Neutral Start Switch

not used

W

G-

Distributor

B

G1

Distributor

Y-R

L3

Y-G

L2

Y-Blu

L1

B

IGT

not used

BR

E1

Ground

G-Y

Injector 2,4

BR

E02

Ground

Pin outs-1.jpg

17 hours ago, citycash said:

Why would I not bother with knock control,  the 30 year old standard ECU has managed it

It is up to you.  Just if you want knock control you will need a more expensive ECU and in my experience if you are in a country that has reasonably consistent fuel octane it is very unlikely it will ever be needed/used with a NA engine.  

The reason for knock control in the OEM ECU is it had to run the engine safely on a huge range of fuels and huge range of intake temps - anything from the premium fuel it was designed for all the way down to the poorest quality columbian 70MON fuel.  

It's not a case of "if I want knock control" the engine has it and it needs it to run smoothly

a few years ago I blew one these engines

I then spent ages trying to find another 4AGE and eventually found one from a breakers yard, what I didn't know as that the engine I bought was an earlier TVIS version without a knock sensor.

By the time I realised it was too late, the engine was in the car and there was no way retro fit the knock sensor to the engine

The car could not be driven properly as it would hesitate at traffic lights and traffic island, or under and kind of acceleration, it would knock and vibrate.

I traded the car in for another to get rid of it

So really what I need is an programmable ECU that can handle  an external knock sensor and and external MAP sensor.

The supplier in the UK Fensport told me that the link atomG4 would be suitable for my car but you are telling me otherwise.

So as it will cost around £1,000 I really don't want buy something I find out to be unsuitable the day it's on the ramps at the tuning shop and the guy tells me I wasted my money.

44 minutes ago, Ducie54 said:

Some searching of the website would have saved you a lot of headaches.

Mate, I've spent so much time searching the internet about this ECU the wife nicknamed me Google.

Looking at the spec chart that you have posted I don't see MAP sensor anywhere

Thanks for the input it's really helpful :D

You also don't see Tps sensor, because they use one of the Analog input pins. 

You really need to write down all the sensors you need and go from there.

14 hours ago, citycash said:

It's not a case of "if I want knock control" the engine has it and it needs it to run smoothly

Im not sure if you have a good grasp on what is required to run an engine.  A knock sensor is not required, it is only used as a safety function.  It may have been a requirement on the stock ECU to prevent it from going into some form of limp mode, but with an aftermarket ECU you can program them to work with whatever sensors you have.

I have done several 4AGE engines with Atoms and Monsoons with no knock control - including both supercharged and turbocharged versions.  They are not a particularly knock sensitive engine and if you have consistent fuel quality I would see no need for it with a naturally aspirated model.  As I mentioned earlier the older factory ECU's only had knock control to cope with a wider range of fuel qualities and environmental conditions.

14 hours ago, citycash said:

The supplier in the UK Fensport told me that the link atomG4 would be suitable for my car but you are telling me otherwise.

Far from It, Im also trying to tell you the Atom will be fine.  It is you that keeps saying you need knock control (which the Atom doesnt have).  If you really want knock control then you will have to go for a more expensive ECU that has knock control built in, but Im telling you it is 100% not needed with an engine like this.

x2 on knock control not being essential on a 4age with aftermarket ECU.

Tuned correctly, they work just fine.  I personally see more engines fitted with aftermarket ECU's capable of knock control, where it is not configured as it takes time and money to correctly configure which many people don't want to pay for.