Knock control configuration on E36 plug and play

dynoiasi

Hello everybody,,

I have a Link E36 plugin ECU controlling a turbo M50TUB25 E36 BMW. I am almost done with the fuel tables and moving onto ignition tuning so I have some questions regarding the specific configuration of the knock control for this engine.

I saw that the help files recommend some frequency settings for certain engines, but no recommendation for the M50 engine. So first question is, could someone tell me what type of knock sensor should be selected, what frequency and eventually the rest of the knock control settings?

In case I can't find an answer to the previous question I plan to also listen for engine knock, so I also search for advice on this one. My plan is to build a simple audio frequency preamplifier/amplifier and listen with headphones. The problem is that I would like to keep the ECU connected in parallel to my audio amplifier, so I need to know what should be the input impedance of the amplifier in order to not affect the input to the ECU too much. My guess is that something like 100kohm should be fine, am I correct? This is a question to which I hope I can get an answer from the Link ECU hardware engineers, for which  I thank them in advance!

Best regards,

Florin  

Thanks Adam for your input. I'll have to look around the engine to find whether there is a reasonably easy way to mount a third sensor.

Alternatively, do you think that temporarily connecting just one of the sensors to the Link ECU and using the other for my amplifier would be a reasonable approach? I am not trying to squeeze the last drop of power, so I would suppose that the detonation would occur roughly at the same time on all the cylinders. Would the Link ECU get a smaller overall noise if using just one of the sensors (by half maybe) which I could adjust later, or would that throw an error and completely disable the knock sensing? Thanks!

Best regards,

Florin