no start, rpm reads zero, ignition test ok

j.mendoza

Hi all,

Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem? My 5sgte is not turning over when trying to start the car. I can hear it cranking but not turning over. I have done the ignition test and got good spark. Also this car was running great yesterday. I have attached both log file and base map. 

Thanks for checkin

Jun

94 mr2 BASE TUNE 04072019 after upgradesR4 test.pclr

Log 2019-04-14 7;58;43 pm.llg

The jumpy MAP value and low-ish voltage suggest it is cranking, although the description isnt very clear on this. It looks like you have no trigger reading happening at all.

Can you grab a trigger scope while cranking it? If it worked yesterday, there is a chance that one of your trigger sensors has had the plug wiggle off or rub through a wire.

Obviously there will be no trigger signal if the engine is "not turning over" like you originally stated.  So are you saying now that the engine does turn over, just there is no trigger/RPM?

What did you change between the engine running and not running?  It looks like the map that you attached above was last saved when the engine was running as it shows a yes on both trigger signals and it also shows some odd stuff like battery voltage was 16.5V.  I think you need to confirm there is continuity from the sensors back to the ECU and ground. 

Can you also give us a copy of the actual map that is in the ecu now. 

Thanks for the advice. I did a bit more digging and found the piston number two is toast. I notice it when I removed the spark plug. See image. 

232F4D5D-77C7-46B0-A788-C2D562CCB471.jpeg

Can you look into the base map and check if there’s anything that would have cause it. Or a way to prevent it from happening in the future?