OBD II Output?

Guest |306|

One of the most annyoing things here in NY is the smog/emission testing. If your car is newer than 1996, they plug in your OBD port to their computers to show that all the systems are good to go. However, if you have an aftermarket standalone (like the Vi-pec) it will read nothing and therefore fail your car. It doesn't matter if you have catalytic converters. All it cares about is that it passes the plug-in. Is there a way for the Vi-pec to output this data via the OBD port?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

Does your car use CAN BUS.

This feature may possibly be functional on Vi-PEC ECU'S later this year,

Ray can confirm this.

The CAN BUS protocol for your vehicle would then have to be sourced and only then you maybe able to explore this possability.

What does this OBD SCAN look for, vehicle specific information or just engine error codes etc.

I believe it does. Here is wikipedia's info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_d ... ics#OBD-II

I'll be honest, I just want to "pass" as it has become such a headache. I'm not sure exactly what the computer reads, but I think it just looks for a general sense of "all emission protocols are working OK"

Also, I have a Supra TT with the V88 plug and play ecu

EDIT: here is more information from New York...

http://www.nyvip.us/interior/readiness.htm

Thanks,

Jeremy

CAN is not far away. We will look into just what is involved and when we can do something.

Ray.

AWESOME Ray. I cannot wait. Vi-pec just keeps getting better and better. Now...if you can do something about the V44 to be cheaper so I can use it as a plug and play into my Skyline-powered 240SX!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jeremy

• 2 months later...
Guest |833|

Tagged.

If I can clear OBDII inspection scan here in Mass with a VIPEC, I'd be tempted to buy another v44 for my street Subie. Its a bit of a PITA to swap ECUs every year on my rally car (back to OEM ECU), and don't want to do it on two cars every year. Ray: please post back in this thread when you roll it out or offer a beta.

Thnx,

Niall

• 1 month later...
Guest |306|
At the moment nothing has been done to support OBD II. I would think it will be still many months away.

Ray.

Thanks for the update Ray. It would be excellent to have it! I would finally be able to run cams in my car without having to deal with "misfire codes" from the stock ECU!

Jeremy

• 6 months later...