Communication problems

Richard Hill

Hi, 

I have a storm running a rover V8, all was fine until I installed a relay coil to drive the tacho (on a spare ignition output).  Since then I have continuous failure to connect to the ecu with comms dropping randomly, lots of failed to store messages.  As soon as I turn off the tacho function the problems seem to stop.  Is there a recommended way to use the relay coil to drive the tacho without the interference with the comms? 

Thanks, 

Richard. 

How close is your relay to the usb cable? also, does the usb cable run parallel to the tacho wire for a long distance before or after the relay? 

High frequency switching can cause a bit of EMF interference, which is quite likely to propagate along the tacho wire. If wires run parallel, intereference can jump between them - ie from the tacho wire to your USB cable.

I'd try moving the laptop/usb cabling away from the rest of the wiring first. Failing that, try getting a usb cable with a ferrite choke on it (the inch long metal blocks around the cable near one or both ends)

I've done the tacho relay trick on quite a few cars over the years and never seen it cause any interference, so its a bit odd.  There are not normally any special tricks required.  Is the relay just a common automotive type with a coil of about 100Ohms?  If you had a spare regular aux it might be worth a try connecting it to that - the flywheeling diode may quieten it down a bit.  I have had some tachos that dont work when connected to a normal aux but work when connected to an ignition aux.