EVOLINK (IV-VIII) - #EVO8+ G63T

romansecurit

Hi to everybody! Im a new Plug in Link ECU user and try to figure out how to make it works on my Evo8.

For the beginning i took a base map for G+Evo 4-8 and tried to configure it.

Im use direct spark (rewired the coils from Audi 1.8tsi) and sequential/modelled fuel settings. The injectors are ID1000 and seems that all necessary settings i added to the map. The tests for the coils and the injectors are passed - everything is working. Fuel pressure 43.5psi (AEM Sensor). AEM wideband is connected and calibrated.

The main questions for me what to do with Triggers (cam and crank)? how to configure them. It seems that something wrong with trigger adjusting. What correct type of sensor choose for the crank (hall or reluctor) and the cam/ How to synchronize them?

The engine is cranking but not starts, the RPM readings is about 176 RPM. A couple of times AFR read very rich AFR like 8 and fired in the header. When i disconnected cam sensor the engine become sounds like it will start soon but without success.

Im trying to triggerscope the readings from the cam and crank but got almost nothing (see logs) In right status window all parameters are green except Trig1-2 Arming

Please need help) Maybe somebody can make some settings in my map that helps to start engine or give me the right direction to resolve the problem.

Thanks!!

4G63t 05.05.2019.pclr 1.llg Trigger Scope Log 2019-05-5 5;48;42 pm.llg Trigger Scope Log 2019-05-5 6;29;45 pm.llg

There is nothing wrong with your trigger set up, although it looks like it may have been wrong when you done the trigger scope.  A few other problems though - your fuel table was not suitable for modelled fuel equation, I have fixed that in the attached map.  Also you had injection mode set to staged which would have prevented all the auxiliaries that are on inj 5-8 from working such as fuel pump etc.

For the direct spark wiring, be aware that Ignition output 4 is connected to pins 20,32 & 34, so make sure the other two pins that you are not using for the coil donot have a wire attached.

Map attached with some of these fixed.  Can you try it.  If it still doesnt go, please attach a log of it cranking.

915191161_4G63t05_05.2019B.pclr

Thanks for your answer and help. I was mistaken when sent map to you with staged mode. The map in the ecu was in the same mode as yours - without staged. Anyway i applied your map to the ecu. 

The engine is still not running only have some big bangs in the exhaust. I have tried to switch off ECU power hold but no any changes (ecu hold off log). I made a logs of all engine cranking, maybe you can figure out some problems.

the ign4 is connected to pin 32. PIn 34 was connected to the ecu plug, i disconnected it, but result the same (pin removed log) .

Also i have a success with trigger scope (see image)

For my opinion i have some troubles with firing timing, the fuel goes to the header and fired there simultaneously.

Will be thankful for any future help

06052019.pclr Log 2019-05-6 6;22;55 ecu hold power off pm.llg Log 2019-05-6 6;19;00 pm.llg Log 2019-05-6 6;16;10 pm.llg Log 2019-05-6 6;15;17 pm.llg Log 2019-05-6 6;34;19 last pm.llg Log 2019-05-6 6;32;12 34pin removed plus no AFR pm.llg Log 2019-05-6 6;25;28 pm.llg

scope.png

just analyzed the logs, and saw a couple problems

1. something wrong with fuel pressure calibration (AEM)#

2. problems with AFR wideband calibration (Aem uego)

3. the voltage during cranking drops over 10V

I have add a new map 915191161_4G63t05_05.2019B____corected cali tables AFR+PSI.pclr with correct calibration charts, please check 

It sounds from your description like it might be firing on exhaust stroke.  Can you try changing the trigger offset to 360deg and see if that helps.  If that doesnt help, can you put a timing light on and confirm that the spark is somewhere close to where it should be.  

I have seen some evo's before that had the crank trigger fitted back to front which changes the timing by ~60 deg.

thanks Adam !!!!!!! You the best!!360 degree offset helped to start engine. the engine unstable during TP press, and become rich with rpm rise. Need to work with my idle and warming modes, where i must looking for? how does wide band AFR in closed loop mode affects on idle mode?

Here is a log during a first successful  start.

first start.llg

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have lost many time with tech issue like new intercooler, harness and etc....

Now I have a time to tune ecu and run engine. In last attempt I was start the engine, but it was unstable (360° timing on trigger)

Thanks to Scott C who helped to calibrate triggers 

So what I have now: trigger timing set to -350° (checked with strobe on 10 BTDC°) engine is starts and idle good but something wrong with ignition table on road. Under load , engine won't pull well until you set advance near 45°. Looks like it is too much for the turbo? Maybe I need adjust something in injection timings?

Maybe somebody can check my map and log file? 

Also add trigger scope picture which looks good (I hope)IMG_20190925_162726.thumb.jpg.e43039839d830921c2e4598a6c4dce96.jpg

log. pm.llg evo8.pclr

IMG_20190925_162612.jpg

Ok, as I wrote I'm use direct spark with Audi coils. Every coil has 3 wires. 1+ 2- and signal. + And - for all four coils are the same. The signal wires goes straight to the ecu (some of them a stock Evo wires) 

Pin 10 - ign1

Pin22 - ign2

Pin23 - ign3

Pin32- ign4

Pin 20,34 are empty.

During the spark test every coil is on working condition 

The cyl numbers starts from the cam gears....from left to wright

N

8 hours ago, Simon said:

I suspect those coils will need an external igniter. 

Measure the resistance between the Power supply and the ECU signal wire. If its down at 0.5-1.5ohms then an igniter is needed 

Ok, I have measured 

The resistance of VAG coil is 0.6-0.7ohms (between + and - )

(The stock Evo coils is 1.1kohms)

When I measured between plus and signal I got nothing...

Those are "dumb coils", they donot have an internal ignitor.  Im surprised your car actually runs at all without an ignitor... 

So you have two options;

1. Fit an external ignitor - something like a Bosch 0 227 100 211 is common for 4 channels.
  2. Change to coils with built-in ignitors - something like VAG 06E 905 115 or Nissan R35.

48 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Those are "dumb coils", they donot have an internal ignitor.  Im surprised your car actually runs at all without an ignitor... 

So you have two options;

1. Fit an external ignitor - something like a Bosch 0 227 100 211 is common for 4 channels.
  2. Change to coils with built-in ignitors - something like VAG 06E 905 115 or Nissan R35.

Ha.ha.. it was bad joke with me... I even can't imagine that problem was in "working part". 

Before find a new coils will go back to the stock wasted spark mode. 

Does it can affects on trigger setup? I mean maybe it become like you said 0° and not like mine -350°. 

Will check and post here little later.

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

With stock coils it will run with a trigger offset of 0, 360 or -360.  0 should be the most correct (you still need to check that with a timing light).

Thanks! Your helped so much!!! Now it works like should be, in trigger calibration mode ignition didn't change with rpm rise.

Thanks to all tech members that find this solution!