Obd2 Bluetooth Reader and Torque App?

Hyperblade

I'm looking at running a Bluetooth obd2 reader connected via can to a storm blue g4+.

I'm using torque for Android on a tablet (Nexus 7)

A couple of quick questions.

Do you need to terminate the obd2 connector, or will the Bluetooth device be enough?

What protocol are people using for torque? Link ecu says ISO 15764-4 but torque only supports 15765-4.

What bit rate and baud are you using? 

Do you get the device to show in the link ecu software?

Hi Hyperblade.

Whether you need a terminating resistor will depend on the OBD2 device you are using and the wiring distance the OBD2 port is from the ECU. I suspect the OBD2 device does not have a terminating resistor, and that the distance is not sufficient for you to need to install one.

Torque will work with the 'ISO 15764-4' output of the Link G4+ ECU, I tested this last week using Torque. I did find that I could not get this working at a bit rate of 1 MBPS, but 500 KBPS worked well. I let Torque auto detect the protocol.

The device will not show up in PCLink.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

A question for anyone who has run this setup, how did you find the performance?

I got it all working (using a PLX Kiwi3), but the lag for the RPM is to much to make it usable (would be fine for the other gauges).

I'm running 500 KBPS bit rate with generic dash 2 set to 100hz in pclink but changing it didn't seem to make much difference, I also tried another android app and had same problem.

Is anyone using a similar setup with reasonable performance? Or is it inherently to slow using OBD2 and bluetooth?

Hi Hyperblade, in my experience the performance has been fairly slow, but I have only used it for testing on a short term basis. 

Here is a video made by one of our Link dealers, Jonathon Pace.

In the video he is taking the data from the Link G4+ ECU using a kiwi3 device and is using an app for his phone called Trackaddict.

Scott.

That looks pretty responsive.

I'm finding even just getting a connection to be very inconsistent, I wanted to try my phone out running torque and the Kiwi3 to eliminate the tablet from being to slow, but it wont connect to the ecu now, and nothing has changed in the ecu settings.

Not giving me much confidence in it.

A couple of weeks ago when I tried the kiwi3 for the first time I was unable to get my phone to connect to the Kiwi3 until I did a firmware update. Have you done this yet?

http://www.plxdevices.com/category-s/192.htm

Scott

Yep all up to date, phone is connecting to the Kiwi3 fine but wont talk to ecu, phone is running Android 7 though so that may be an issue, i know they had to update firmware for android 6.

If you look at the CAN tab of the Runtime Values window do you have any errors present?

Scott

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I do have the following errors (IGN on, vehicle not running):

• Acknowledge Error
  • Bit Recessive Error
  • Error Passive
  • Bus Warning
Edited by Hyperblade

Scott

I tried my phone again (Nexus 5X android 7) and still no go, i think plx have an issue (torque wont talk to ecu) with android 7, the tablet (nexus 7 2013 android 6) connected fine again and worked.

I was trying to get my phone going to eliminate the tablet from causing the lag, so i tried another way by getting an app running on windows via the Kiwi 3, it looks responsive, I think it points finger at the nexus 7 not being fast enough as certainly doesn't appear to have the same delay. (hard to tell without gauges)

The cable is only 30 - 40cm long.

• 9 months later...

Hyperblade, did you have any luck getting torque to work with the Android 7?

I gave up and went to a Windows tablet running PCLink which works better.

The other thing I wanted was Oil Pressure which I couldn't get through OBD2 so it wasn't the best option for my use case.

For me Torque won't connect while other apps will.

I have heard some users have trouble with torque on certain phones.  It seems to connect ok for most of our users and I just tried it here on a samsung S5 without drama.  Can you borrow another phone/tablet off someone to try?

Edited by Adamw

Will try with an older phone, I've been trying with an s8 and kiwi 3

Do the data channel settings have effect on obd?

I can get obd car doctor free and obd auto doctor working with ISO 15764-4 on can 2, user defined 250mbit/s, channel 1 generic dash 2 @ 20hz or 10hz, can id 1000, normal.

Strange thing is, it won't connect automatically, I need to keep hitting apply settings (which appears to clear the can errors) before it will connect.

Will try with an older phone, I've been trying with an s8 and kiwi 3

Do the data channel settings have effect on obd?

I can get obd car doctor free and obd auto doctor working with ISO 15764-4 on can 2, user defined 250mbit/s, channel 1 generic dash 2 @ 20hz or 10hz, can id 1000, normal.

Strange thing is, it won't connect automatically, I need to keep hitting apply settings (which appears to clear the can errors) before it will connect.

All data channels should be turned off.  You can try both 250 or 500kbit/s bit rates.  Your setup should look something like below:

vkHBr9B.png

• 1 year later...

I can't help with Kiwi4 but I've played around with quite a few ODB2 bluetooth devices in the past including the Kiwi3.

The gotcha with the Kiwi3 is that it used "low energy bluetooth" which isn't compatible with everything (which is why some of the other threads talk about working on this device but not that).  Seems someone in their wisdom took a working bluetooth spec and split it into a few different versions that don't work with each other.  

Cheap ebay Chinese ODB-II devices are hit and miss and I've had a really good one that worked till it randomly stopped. 

Don't know where on the planet you are but in AU/NZ the Jaycar ones work well on everything I've tried them on without lag.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/obd-ii-engine-code-reader-with-bluetooth-technology/p/PP2145
...and they have a good return policy if for some reason it doesn't work on your setup.  They also sell a wireless one that I've not tried but it might suit your setup better if you are using a external GPS or another device on bluetooth at hte same time.

A bit off topic but Race Chrono is a killer app for ODB-II bluetooth.   Race track video with odb-ii data overlay, lots of tracks in there or you can mark-out your own.  You will get best results using a higher frequency external GPS  (10hz) as phones typically use a 1Hz GPS. 

• 3 months later...