MINI LINK G4+ Borg Warner Speed sensor

1320MINI

I drew this circuit for someone the other day.  I havent tested it myself with a turbospeed sensor so no guarantees but I have used a similar circuit to divide a wheel speed frequency down.  Over here you can buy the 4024 binary counter for about $1.50 from Jaycar so I assume they should be easy to find anywhere.

MhVEgus.png

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm trying to create an input of max 500Hz to a Link G4 to set a "max speed limit" (to run on a safe boost level for now) of the turbo shaft of 92,044 RPM on a 14 blades Borgwarner. If I use your circuit my output frequency will be around 1350 Hz wich is not readable by the ECU. I'll need a divider by 50 from the original turbo frequency to the final frequency entering the ECU: 92,044x14/(60x50)=around 430Hz. How can i wire the two frequency dividers toghether? And why did you put resistor on the supply 

I'll thank you in advance, any help will be much appreciated. 

Salute from Italy,

Federico.

The BW turbo speed sensors already have a divide by 8 built-in to the electronics inside the connector.  So with just the 1/16 frequency divider circuit above you would have a frequency of 168Hz at 92044RPM.

For better range you can use instead the Q3 output on the 4024 chip (usually pin 9) which is divide by 8 instead of 16 so will give you 336Hz at 92KRPM.  

10 hours ago, FedericoCam said:

Hi, I'm trying to create an input of max 500Hz to a Link G4 to set a "max speed limit" (to run on a safe boost level for now) of the turbo shaft of 92,044 RPM on a 14 blades Borgwarner. If I use your circuit my output frequency will be around 1350 Hz wich is not readable by the ECU. I'll need a divider by 50 from the original turbo frequency to the final frequency entering the ECU: 92,044x14/(60x50)=around 430Hz. How can i wire the two frequency dividers toghether? And why did you put resistor on the supply 

I'll thank you in advance, any help will be much appreciated. 

Salute from Italy,

Federico.

Hi, found the solution. I've discovered the egr sensor has a built-in conversion ratio of 8, so if i use your circuit I'll obtain a conversion ratio of 16x8, it'll suit flawlessly my application.

• 2 months later...
On 20/6/2019 at 05:37, Adamw said:

Ho disegnato questo circuito per qualcuno l'altro giorno. Non l'ho testato da solo con un sensore di velocità della ruota, quindi non ci sono garanzie, ma ho usato un circuito simile per dividere una frequenza di velocità della ruota verso il basso. Qui puoi acquistare il contatore binario 4024 per circa $ 1,50 da Jaycar, quindi presumo che dovrebbero essere facili da trovare ovunque.

MhVEgus.png

hi everyone I wanted to try this solution. someone can list me where I have to connect the various wires, I would not want to do damage. Thanks in advance

IMG_8991.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Adam, 

On 12/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, Adamw said:

The BW turbo speed sensors already have a divide by 8 built-in to the electronics inside the connector.  So with just the 1/16 frequency divider circuit above you would have a frequency of 168Hz at 92044RPM.

For better range you can use instead the Q2 output on the 4024 chip (usually pin 9) which is divide by 8 instead of 16 so will give you 336Hz at 92KRPM.  

My first post as I'm planning my harness and sensors.

I have a Jaquet sensor for my TSS PN: DSE 0606.02 T3HV which is the same as most of the Garrett sensors with the M6x.5 thread. I have ordered a TI CD4024BPWR counter (less than $1) and a board from Bellin Dynamic Systems to mount the counter and wires to. I was wondering if there may ever be a need to change the output pins (Q2, Q4, etc.) but I'm not sure which pins may be needed as I don't know their dividing count. 

My plan was to se a 4 or 6 way connector so that I can bring the wires out of the 2042 ad repin the signal pin on the mating connector that runs the signal to the ECU. This will allow me to pot in the 4042 as an in line device. 

image.png.4a0a74b3103ba76b8425127335f1827f.png

I just noticed there is a typo in my text above that you quoted.  It should have said Q3 is divide by 8.  Each Q divided the previous output in half, so something like this:

Q1 = 1/2

Q2 = 1/4

Q3 = 1/8

Q4 = 1/16

Assuming your ECU is a G4+ then the Q3 would do.

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, Adamw said:

I drew this circuit for someone the other day.  I havent tested it myself with a turbospeed sensor so no guarantees but I have used a similar circuit to divide a wheel speed frequency down.  Over here you can buy the 4024 binary counter for about $1.50 from Jaycar so I assume they should be easy to find anywhere.

MhVEgus.png

Could I also just use this circuit instead of the one listed here?

Does that little controller need a PCB or can I wire directly to the pins without issue

On 10/14/2021 at 1:32 AM, Adamw said:

Only for a hall effect sensor.  If your sensors are VR you will need the VEMs device as the 4024 IC cant take a VR signal directly, it needs to be converted to a square wave first.  

Hey Adam, So I found a board that converts from VR to Hall but does not include the counter circuit so it's a 1:1 conversion. It has two inputs (a +/- for both) and two outputs.

https://sirhclabs.com/product/vr-to-hall-sensor-converter-dual-channel/

I also found these counter chips from digikey that appear to have a dual input/output as well:

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/NXP PDFs/HEF40240B.pdf

Is my estimation of the circuit correct for a dual input/output application? I do not know where the resistor would fit into this.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Z95RXJ0FQbT0jo7N5H1m26pMGTbPWAqb?usp=sharing

Pictures of the chip pin description and my understanding of the chip logic are in that folder.

Ok, if you are going to be designing something yourself it will be a case of trial and error.  You will need a scope to be able to see the waveform at each step of the process.  There is no info on what mode they have set up the max9926 in and it doesnt look like there is anyway to reconfigure it without swapping board components, so that may or maynot be suitable for ABS sensors.  Im not sure about the 40240B, I have never used one, but it looks more designed as an inverting buffer rather than counter.  4520 might be a better dual channel divider.  

I will take a look at the mode configuration when that board arrives. It does say it's specifically for VR abs sensors and produces a 1:1 output but in square wave instead of AC. 

On 6/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, Adamw said:

MhVEgus.png

Could you explain why the 5v is attached with a node to the input of the 4024 chip and speed sensor input in the diagram above? I had an EE friend try and help me set up my circuit with the 4520 and adapt the one shown above but we are both confused by that.

Wouldn't the chip see a constant voltage at the input like that?

Is it to control the max amplitude of the square wave? 

Edit:

Also, I think I have the circuit figured out for the 4520 chip (assuming the board with the max9926 outputs a square wave similar to what can be accepted by a 4024 chip).

Can you take a look at it? It's the "CD4520BE circuit for ECU" picture

2 hours ago, Link2ThePast said:

Could you explain why the 5v is attached with a node to the input of the 4024 chip and speed sensor input in the diagram above? I had an EE friend try and help me set up my circuit with the 4520 and adapt the one shown above but we are both confused by that.

That circuit is for a turbo speed sensor which has a sinking output, you need the pull-up to give you two states.  The VR conditioner says it outputs a 0-5V square wave so that would suggest it already has it a pull-up built-in.  

Your google drive link is restricted.