MINI LINK G4+ Borg Warner Speed sensor

I drew this circuit for someone the other day.  I havent tested it myself with a turbospeed sensor so no guarantees but I have used a similar circuit to divide a wheel speed frequency down.  Over here you can buy the 4024 binary counter for about $1.50 from Jaycar so I assume they should be easy to find anywhere.

MhVEgus.png

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm trying to create an input of max 500Hz to a Link G4 to set a "max speed limit" (to run on a safe boost level for now) of the turbo shaft of 92,044 RPM on a 14 blades Borgwarner. If I use your circuit my output frequency will be around 1350 Hz wich is not readable by the ECU. I'll need a divider by 50 from the original turbo frequency to the final frequency entering the ECU: 92,044x14/(60x50)=around 430Hz. How can i wire the two frequency dividers toghether? And why did you put resistor on the supply 

I'll thank you in advance, any help will be much appreciated. 

Salute from Italy,

Federico.

The BW turbo speed sensors already have a divide by 8 built-in to the electronics inside the connector.  So with just the 1/16 frequency divider circuit above you would have a frequency of 168Hz at 92044RPM.

For better range you can use instead the Q2 output on the 4024 chip (usually pin 9) which is divide by 8 instead of 16 so will give you 336Hz at 92KRPM.  

10 hours ago, FedericoCam said:

Hi, I'm trying to create an input of max 500Hz to a Link G4 to set a "max speed limit" (to run on a safe boost level for now) of the turbo shaft of 92,044 RPM on a 14 blades Borgwarner. If I use your circuit my output frequency will be around 1350 Hz wich is not readable by the ECU. I'll need a divider by 50 from the original turbo frequency to the final frequency entering the ECU: 92,044x14/(60x50)=around 430Hz. How can i wire the two frequency dividers toghether? And why did you put resistor on the supply 

I'll thank you in advance, any help will be much appreciated. 

Salute from Italy,

Federico.

Hi, found the solution. I've discovered the egr sensor has a built-in conversion ratio of 8, so if i use your circuit I'll obtain a conversion ratio of 16x8, it'll suit flawlessly my application.