Link atom to motec SDL dash?

Nick1512

Hey guys, might be a bit of a dumb question but before I give up and enlist a professional I thought I’d give this a go.

I have a link Atom ecu (g4+) and I am looking at using my motec SDL dash via canbus. 
I have powered up the motec SDL in the car and connected the canbus wiring (with a 100r resistor like the motec manual shows) and I am attempting to get the 2 to talk.

Not sure what I’m missing, but when I select ‘search for can devices’ in pclink it shows nothing. I Have set the can id to 1520 but still nothing. Then the pc link software says to copy the table into the SDL dash manager. Not sure where to do that? If I try go from the motec side it shows a template being m800 and no other ECUs. Sorry but I really don’t have much experience with setting up canbus. 

Has anybody had any experience with link atom to motec display? Or is it possible the atom simply won’t do it? I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but it’s doing my head in cause I’m sure there will be a simple solution. 

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Nick Baxter

13 hours ago, Adamw said:

Hi Adam, I gave those a go, the display still isn’t displaying values (besides battery voltage) but it does show active connection on can. Does this mean I have comms? I didn’t get much time on it last night I’ll have another play tonight when I get home from work. Thanks mate, really appreciate it.

Nick Baxter

201E3767-6626-42C5-B760-501B12389AF1.jpeg

Hi Adam, I have sent comms to the dash exactly as you describe and used your file on the Link to no avail. is it possible for me to test my connection using the link?

Im no pro I wired it as the user manual illustrates. but theres always a chance its me that's at fault ha.

Thanks,

Nick

44 minutes ago, Nick1512 said:

is it possible for me to test my connection using the link?

Note that "connection settings" screen that you show above doesnot "test your connection", all it tells you is how the laptop is connected to the dash.

About the only other thing you can check from the ECU is open the runtimes screen (F12), go to the CAN tab and see if there are any red errors showing on CAN 1.  

Maybe give us some photos of the CAN wiring also.  

Adam, I’ve just been playing around with it and I have success! I took the resistor out of the wiring and it fixed the problem. I noticed in the motec manual it states if the wiring is under 2m you only need 1 resistor. Knowing the link has one built it I cut it out and bingo it all started working.
Thank you so much! 

now one more question Adam, is it possible to add speed to be displayed on the dash? (Di2 in my link)

thank you so much mate. I’m stoked!

Nick Baxter

Your DI2 is set to RR wheel speed, this should already be set up and working in the config I gave you.  Note many of the Motec channel names are a bit different to Link, so you should find it as "Dig In 4 Speed"

TkszAHb.png

WQm2JZP.png

The terminating resistor shouldnt have prevented it from working - it is just with a short bus it is not usually required - but it is still proper practice to have it.  Are you sure it really was 100ohm.  Are you sure it wasnt shorting the two wires together somehow?

It’s possible mate, this is the resistor I had. It’s possible that it’s just a shit resistor? Either way I’m stoked to see a result. 

ive had a look into the communication setup (dash software) and none of the dig in are being communicated. And I’m too worried to touch the template ha! 

Thanks,

Nick

E7737225-976A-4CBB-936C-1D00DE445141.png

Oh yeah, I just remembered those old SDL's have some CAN restriction in them.  I cant remember exactly but something like it only allows a max of 20 channels, so it will only be showing the first twenty and hiding all the others.

I will take another look later, I might be able to move the wheel speed higher up the list.

Thank you mate. Thank you for all you help. 
I just had a look through the channel list and listed the ones I don’t use.

Man press 3

Fuel duty sec

Mass air flow

Cam positions

Lambda 2 

Ref error

Dont know if it’s possible to take those out and add DI2? 

I was intending on going motec (I have an m800 from a previous project) after this season but with this type of after sales support might have to look further into a link thunder! 

Thanks,

Nick

Ok, some new files attached.  I found the limitation in the SDL is it only allows 8 compound frames, the generic dash stream uses 13.  

So I condensed it down to 8 frames and added the rest of the missing data as a second message.  I had to change quite a bit so make sure you have a good compare of the numbers in the Motec software Vs Link software to confirm they match - I could have easily missed a bit of math somewhere.  You can do this easily by opening the runtimes screen in Link (F12) and in the motec software go to >online>monitor channels.

BTW, I changed the Motec wheel speed names to match better, you will now find it as "Wheel speed LR" or similar.

H8SR2071019with new CANdash.pclr New CANsetup.U16

• 3 months later...

Hi Again Adamw,

I'm back again with another annoying link - motec question. I have gotten my hands on a E888 expansion box and decided I may aswell use it. I have wired it in and set the can up as per the help area. I have it communicating and working. I have looked at ecu parameters and runtime values and the sensors I have wired in (Bosch 0 261 230 340 pressure and temp just using the pressure side for now) are reading via the link ecu and the can analog volt 1 and 2. They're currently reading between 490 - 505 (atmospheric) and the value goes up with pressure down with vacuum etc. Problem is I cant seem to find where to calibrate these sensors and im a little stuck. via the ECU settings I don't have a can folder to calibrate. Is this something I need to add?

Thanks Mate, I didn't want to clutter the forum, so thought id add it in here.

Nick Baxter

If you want them to report as "things" like oil/fuel pressure rather than just voltage, you can adjust the can receive frame to map them straight to that system instead on CAN ANV#. You'll still need to calibrate them however. I think the only way to do it is via the multipliers in the CAN receive config. 

CJ is on the money here, CAN AN Volt channels display in volts only.  For linear sensors you can often use the multiplier/divider/offset to scale it into something more meaningful - for instance you might scale it so that 100psi pressure is displayed/logged as 100.0V.

You can also receive oil pressure, fuel pressure or exhaust pressure as native can channels.

NTC Temp sensors are not normally linear so there is no way to calibrate these in G4+ from a CAN input - unless the linearisation is done in the sending device.

Okay great, seems I am definitely over my head with this one, im out of analog inputs on my ecu hence why I went this route in hope I could add oil and fuel pressure, without upgrading ECU just yet. I have changed the values circled and its not changing the number displayed. ill contact a guy that's local and see if he knows how to set it up properly. otherwise im just shooting in the dark ha.

Thanks for your help mate,

Nick

Can setup screen shot.png

I had a closer look at this tonight, unfortunately we cant make the Oil press or fuel press work as I thought.  The problem is the E888 has a very odd format for the compound message ID.  Most CAN devices use a full byte as the ID but this device only uses the first three bits.  The user defined CAN set up in the G4+ only has facility to decode a message that has the ID covering a full byte.

The EGT's will come through correctly using the built-in E888 stream.  Also your E888 AN V1 & AN V2 will still be received into the ECU using the built-in stream but it will be as raw millivolts so not very useful as pressures.  i.e if you fuel press sensor is outputting 3.5V, the ECU will receive that as "CAN AN V1 3500mV".  You should still be able to use them for things like GP Limiters etc but I admit it is a bit more painful than having a native "Fuel pressure" channel.