USB Drivers - anything I should know about when installing/upgrading

MagicMike

Is there anything specific I should be doing when upgrading to latest PCLink and firmware?

Been running on the old ones largely because my car is always off the road.

I decided to do the upgrade the other day via the car PC which is always in car. Install file on USB stick. Install into new location (didn't want to remove the existing happy version just in case). Everything worked fine.

Now I tried the same thing on my laptop and I am having connection/driver issues. Initially I got stuck on the 'abnormal program close' issue, fixed that with the permissions.

Now this.

1 hour ago, TechDave said:

Exactly what path did you install to? 

I went with c:\link g4 latest instead of (or as well as) the default c:\l link g4

On both the car pc and laptop. One works fine, one does not. Yellow exclamation against the device in device manager.

the install path shouldnt be relevant to driver issues as these all get installed in various system folders anyway (and yes they overwrite each other - the latest driver is usually fine though for old versions of the pclink software).

right click the device with the yellow mark, go to properties, and see what the status/error is. If it just says something like no driver loaded, re-run the driver installer from your install path - something like C:\Link G4-567\Link USB Drivers (the click the 32/64 bit installer depending on your laptop).

Is this win7 or 10? there was an issue with the 566 or 567 drivers not installing on win7 so you had to install those from 565 first. the 566/567 install would then just not touch the drivers and use the old ones, so this shouldnt have broken from an update.

14 hours ago, TechDave said:

Abnormal Program Close thing is usually caused by installing PCLink to a write protected folder (program files)

But yeah, doesn't usually matter with the drivers, we haven't changed them for ages too.

Yeah I got to the bottom of the abnormal program close, the functionality of the program is fine now, I just can't connect it to the ECU.

Have tried removing the device/drivers, uninstalling both instances of PCLink, reinstalling, but still getting stuck on the drivers.

Installed on a clean new laptop fine.

Any more ideas?

• 1 month later...