Trigger errors

Guest |918|

Guest |918|

Hi, my setup is: 4.3 v6 GM engine, 2x 45lb/hr injector TBI, 3x2 bosch wasted spark+bosch driver. Reluctor sensor on CAM. I have a 24-1 tooth wheel inside my old distributor (centered in a mill) Wheel is about 75 mm dia, tooth height 3mm and tooth distance maybe 10-15mm, and tooth width 2mm, the wheel is about 8mm thick.

If i have the distributor in my hand and spin it with a electric hand drill, i get perfect trigger signal, RPM and NO trigger errors. The fuel pump goes on, injector inject fuel, spark on all cylinders.

When i put the distributor into my engine and adjust the ignition timing it shows 10 BTC.

But when i try to start the engine it shows trigger signal and RPM but just as it is about to run it hits trigger errors. It runs like for 1 sec then i get 1 or 2 trigger errors and it crank for few sec and again same thing.

I have checked all wiring and spark plugs etc, changed ecu grounding battery->block. Disconnected alternator, injectors, ignition system, radio, everything lol. Adjusted airgap to reluctor sensor 0.1->1.5 No help, gone through all filter settings 1-4. And adjusted volatges, tried different sensor, changed polarity, no help.... :roll: :roll:

Guest |918|

I have disconnected whole igniton system, coilpack, driver, fuse, so there shouldnt come ANY interference.

Heres and SS of some values, everything seems HIGH. So the problem is not the triggering? Seems like a common interference... :roll:

I have triple checked all wiring, everything seems to be OK. ECU is grounded using both black wires to battery neg, i have tried grounding it to engine block, makes no difference.. All wiring is new, new 50mm2 cable to engine block, new 50mm2 + to starter motor. 3 new relays with wiring, 1 feeds coilpack, 1 ecu+injectors, 1 fuelpump. Coilpack driver grounded to engine block.

I had the starter out today, checked and mesured all wires and solenoids, everything seems to be OK....Maybe the starter has some mechanical fault (worn bearings) and causing troubles? It doesnt seem to rotate the engine very well neither..

Will do some more testing tomorrow... :?

As I wrote you in an e-mail: A scope trace while cranking would tell a lot... If there is interference or not, and if the signal is upside down or not, and what is the level of the signal.

As you mentioned in your e-mail that the voltage (with DVOM) is only some 0.3V, You should lower the treshold voltage or make the teeth bigger, so that ECU can read the voltage your sensor outputs.

It is very hard to guess what kind of signal the set up you have made produces while cranking.

Guest |918|

Problem solved: Installed a 6mm thick 200mm dia, 36-1 trigger wheel on crankshaft with reluctor sensor. NO signs of trigger errors anymore. Engine started after cranking for 5 secs. Never would have thought that the triggering can cause this much problems :shock: Everything seems to be working well, just need to fineadjust the fuelmaps. :D