Zetec Turbo

James c

Hi All

I have a 2litre ford zetec engine fitted in rwd configuration to my vehicle.  It was previously configured and mapped by an engine tuner. The engine was in NA form, running jenvey throttle bodies and using alpha n tuning.   TPS, Waste spark, cam and crank sensor, sequential injection, intake air temp and water temp. The ECU is a Atom G4+.

I have now dropped the compression, added a common intake plenum(still running the Jenveys), 3bar Map sensor, turbo , intercooler , rising rate reg etc. 

It has a 7psi wastegate spring installed and no boost control at this stage. 

Basically I want to know what changes I should/could make to the map so that I can run in the engine pre getting it on the dyno so the tuner can do his thing. Does anybody have a zetec turbo base map I could use?  Or a Map that would suffice (effectively its just a 2litre twin cam turbo)

I understand what I'm asking is not ideal in a number of ways but now I'm faced with at least 4 weeks before I can get it on a dyno and thought it was worth a try.

On the other hand is it safe to run the N/A tune with the intercooler charge pipe disconnected as not to give the engine positive pressure. 

I have attached the current pcl file

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Zetec .pcl

We'll be able to adapt the existing tune to give it a safe starting point.  Since it is still ITB we will leave it alpha N but turn on MAP compensation.  Your AFR target table is already set up for boost so the fuel will almost take care of itself.  

Will need to modify the ign table to be MAP based.  

A couple of questions before I dig in:

What's the 2 fuel maps for - switched by DI1?

Are the injectors still the same size?

What analog input have you connected the map sensor to and what specific sensor is it?

I'd also highly recommend you update the firmware before you re-tune, it is very old and there have been many updates, fixes and improvements since.

Hi Adam

The switched DI1 map was setup for two different length intake trumpets. I never really used it however it is still setup that way. 

Yes the injectors are still the same....they will be upsized at a later date once the boost gets turned up.

The map sensor is connected to AN Volt 3 and its a 3.0 bar sensor from NZ EFI.  20kPa=0.3V, 300kPa=4.752V

With regards to the AFR target table, I don't run a oxygen sensor so this wont work right?

Thanks

AFR target table is used internally to the ECU to calculate the amount to inject in moddeled mode. Without O2 sensor you will not have closed loop lambda (that uses this table) but the target table will still be used.

When you want to change your WOT AFrs then you don't modify your VE table but only your target afr for example.

Adam

I have updated the firmware to v5 5.6.7

I didn't realise it was so out of date otherwise I would have done it sooner. 

Did you make any progress with adapting the existing tune?

Aside from rechecking the trigger calibration is here anything else I should consider after the update?

Regards

Hi Adam

I downloaded the file and all is good, the car is running although still needs to be dialed in which I will get done as soon as I can. Thanks again.

One question I have is I had a look at the AFR/Lamba target table and noticed that there is compensation happening in the negative values as well (i.e. when the engine is not seeing positive pressure but vacuum)

My question is does this mean its compensating in these areas of the Map and should I configure a AFR target table that only starts at say 10 or 20kPa for example?

I also noticed that on the over run I'm getting a lot of back firing so its obviously going quiet rich during this time.

Regards

2 hours ago, James c said:

One question I have is I had a look at the AFR/Lamba target table and noticed that there is compensation happening in the negative values as well (i.e. when the engine is not seeing positive pressure but vacuum)

My question is does this mean its compensating in these areas of the Map and should I configure a AFR target table that only starts at say 10 or 20kPa for example?

No, leave it as is.  The AFR target table is set between 1.00 & 0.95 in all the idle/cruise region so that is having very little influence on the commanded fuel. 

2 hours ago, James c said:

I also noticed that on the over run I'm getting a lot of back firing so its obviously going quiet rich during this time.

Backfiring is usually due to lean mixture, not rich.  This looks like it would just be due to your fuel table having very small numbers at closed throttle above about 3500RPM.