EvoLink ISC issues

Michael Lanham

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

For the stepper motor check there is 12V on the two centre pins of the stepper motor plug with the key on.  For the tacho, you can put the aux in test mode and check it with a test light.

Hey Adam, checked the centre pins of the 6 pin connector, both have 12v with key on. 

With the laptop connected should I see the isc outputs in the table turn to on when the stepper should be moving?

I turned the closed loop idle control off and changed the basic stepper position to 120 and zero, didn't feel like the stepper was moving and the outputs never turned to on. Zero and 120 made no difference to the idle rpm at all. I also zeroed the idle ups and start position numbers with no change at all. 

I tried turning the output aux 3 to test on, high side wouldn't make even an LED test light go, but it would go to low, with the output set to off it was still at ground. I pin swapped the tach signal to aux 1 and tested it, works fine on that so it discounts a cluster issue.

Thanks, Mike

12 hours ago, Michael Lanham said:

With the laptop connected should I see the isc outputs in the table turn to on when the stepper should be moving

No the auxiliary runtimes only show "active" for on/off type functions such as fuel pump, they will just show off all the time when assigned to stepper.  I guess the next step is to connect your LED test light between one of 12V pins and one of the outside pins (shouldnt matter which), then get someone to turn the key off, you should see the test light rapidly flash for a few seconds (assuming stepper reset is set to key-off).  The evo stepper motors used to be pretty prone to failing so just need to confirm where the problem is.

12 hours ago, Michael Lanham said:

I tried turning the output aux 3 to test on, high side wouldn't make even an LED test light go, but it would go to low, with the output set to off it was still at ground. I pin swapped the tach signal to aux 1 and tested it, works fine on that so it discounts a cluster issue.

Hmm, that is odd.  With aux 3 set to off you should see (weak)12V on that pin.  The thing that is odd is Aux 1-4 are all controlled by the same "quadswitch" chip so its pretty rare for just 1 channel in that chip to fail - not impossible though I guess.  It would have to go back to Link if you want that inspected and fixed.

48 minutes ago, Adamw said:

No the auxiliary runtimes only show "active" for on/off type functions such as fuel pump, they will just show off all the time when assigned to stepper.  I guess the next step is to connect your LED test light between one of 12V pins and one of the outside pins (shouldnt matter which), then get someone to turn the key off, you should see the test light rapidly flash for a few seconds (assuming stepper reset is set to key-off).  The evo stepper motors used to be pretty prone to failing so just need to confirm where the problem is.

Hmm, that is odd.  With aux 3 set to off you should see (weak)12V on that pin.  The thing that is odd is Aux 1-4 are all controlled by the same "quadswitch" chip so its pretty rare for just 1 channel in that chip to fail - not impossible though I guess.  It would have to go back to Link if you want that inspected and fixed.

I'll make some more checks, is there any chance you could give me and test specs for the Aux 5-8 pins? I'm more than happy to send in for repair if that's what it needs. 

Cheers, Mike

26 minutes ago, Michael Lanham said:

is there any chance you could give me and test specs for the Aux 5-8 pins?

Im not sure what you mean by that.  All you can do is check it is flashing with a test light, or if you've got an oscilloscope can can check for a square wave coming out at key-off reset.

12 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Im not sure what you mean by that.  All you can do is check it is flashing with a test light, or if you've got an oscilloscope can can check for a square wave coming out at key-off reset.

Ah, I think there's something strange going on, I've back probed the ecu disconnected from the car, on diode check on Aux 1 I only get a forward voltage drop in one direction, on all others besides aux9,10,11 that I can verify work properly I get a forward voltage drop in both directions. Can you PM where to send it? I live in NZ so getting it back to link isn't a big deal. 

Thanks, Mike

It would pay to contact tech support to get the ok when to send it.  You can point them at this thread to save explaining the problem again.  Im not sure what effect lockdown etc is having on turnaround time so best to get it straight from the horses mouth.  

But otherwise, follow the instructions on this page: https://www.linkecu.com/contact/ecu-service-requests/