Link g3 Coil coversion

Dadoulis Paschalis

Hi all

One little question, for years now I m running my 4efte with a link g3 and a distributor setup. So I ve decided to convert it to coils for better ignition since I m almost at 300hp. I ve checked yesterday that I need to keep the dizzy for the trigger signal but I ll have to drive an aux for the tacho so as my dash reading the rpm again, correct?

Also is there a real gain from this conversion since I can't run sequential injector setup? Did I understand it correctly from the manual of the g3 that it only has 2 injector drives, so no matter what it's going to be grouped?

If this is the case I ll better sell the g3 to buy a new ecu? The thing is atom x and monsoon hasn't got too many outputs, they are always short in something, so only option is storm, but it's way too expensive for a coil and sequential only conversion:)

Thanks

P.S. Can someone tell me what version/model is the ecu in the photo? It's from a friend of a friend who sells it, but my search for G4+ storm brought up a "plastic" black link storm and not this kind of ecu, so is it a previous versions or the same thing with the "blackplastic" one?

g4.jpg

There may be several advantages from changing to multi coil:

1. You have a much wider range of modern coils with a decent/matching ignitor built in and some are very powerful and well proven.
  2. You have 4 x more time per engine cycle for dwell, spark time and cooling of the coil
  3. You have no lost energy from leads, resistance through cap and rotor etc.
  4. You can do individual cylinder ign trims.

Having said that a properly designed single coil system on a 4 cyl can work pretty well up to moderate RPM.  

Your tacho is most likely a "high level" tacho so after changing to multi coil you will need an aux output to drive the tacho and you may also either need to modify the tacho to low level or use a tacho booster to get the high voltage signal required.

1 hour ago, Dadoulis Paschalis said:

If this is the case I ll better sell the g3 to buy a new ecu? The thing is atom x and monsoon hasn't got too many outputs, they are always short in something, so only option is storm, but it's way too expensive for a coil and sequential only conversion:)

The Monsoon would generally cover a G3 pretty well, it has 2 less aux outputs, but are you using all 8?  It has 2 extra Inj drives, 2 extra DI's, , 1 extra analog, you can also add more via CAN bus.

The ecu in your picture is the old blue storm, it was replaced by the Black storm and the Monsoon around 2014/2015?  It pretty much has the same IO as the current Monsoon but had knock control.

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

There may be several advantages from changing to multi coil:

1. You have a much wider range of modern coils with a decent/matching ignitor built in and some are very powerful and well proven.
  2. You have 4 x more time per engine cycle for dwell, spark time and cooling of the coil
  3. You have no lost energy from leads, resistance through cap and rotor etc.
  4. You can do individual cylinder ign trims.

Having said that a properly designed single coil system on a 4 cyl can work pretty well up to moderate RPM.  

Your tacho is most likely a "high level" tacho so after changing to multi coil you will need an aux output to drive the tacho and you may also either need to modify the tacho to low level or use a tacho booster to get the high voltage signal required.

The Monsoon would generally cover a G3 pretty well, it has 2 less aux outputs, but are you using all 8?  It has 2 extra Inj drives, 2 extra DI's, , 1 extra analog, you can also add more via CAN bus.

The ecu in your picture is the old blue storm, it was replaced by the Black storm and the Monsoon around 2014/2015?  It pretty much has the same IO as the current Monsoon but had knock control.

Thanks for your detailed response! For now on my g3 I m using already 6 out 8 aux, so assuming that I I ll need one more at least for the tacho, then there is only one left which is already overlapsed by the 1 DI that I m using for my AC so it can't be used, so in general I need 7. So maybe it's more clever if I find a g4+ storm used one as the one in my previous post?

As for the coils, so it has lots of advantages as I understand superior performance compared to the old dizzy, but wouldn't all this be fully completed by sequential injector setup?

Lastly can I find somewhere the specs of this g4+ storm of the photo to check the outputs it offers?

Thanks