Grounding for EGT amplifier

ellisd1984

I'm fitting an EGT sensor kit from VEMS

http://shop.vems.hu/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_9&products_id=129

it requires a 12v supply which isn't a problem
, what I need to know is can I still use the dedicated senor ground or should I use another?

any help on calibrating this sensor will also be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks David

• 1 month later...

Just as a bit of an update I've now installed this sensor and getting values on a cold engine (left over night) of over 2v which works out at about 400C which obviously isn't right.  any idea where I should be looking or have I missed something with the wiring?

Assuming you have verified that 2V with a multimeter then yes, I would say it is possibly faulty orthe thermocouple is the wrong type or failed or there is a wring problem.  If you short the two thermocouple +/- pads together on the PCB with a paperclip or something do you then get 0V output from the amp?  If you disconnect the thermocouple from the amp and measure the voltage across the thermocouple wires directly, how many mV do you get?  Should be about 1mV at room temp.  400°C is about 16mV.

• 1 year later...

The thermocouple wires need to be soldered direct to the PCB. If you need to extend the Thermocouple wires or want a connection somewhere then it needs to be done with special "compensation cable" and proper thermocouple connectors (chromel/alumel).  The wires from the 9 pin plug that go to the ECU can use a connector and dont need to be anything special.