LS1 Coils

Guest rt1092

Hi I've been using LS1 coils on my 4 cyl N/A drag race car. I started using the launch control funtion to leave the starting line. And have developed some problems. The settings are, Direct spark, Spark edge falling, Dwell mode ms, ignition mode 0 us, Spark duration 1.0 ms, Max advance 50*BTDC.

I think my coils are wounded (ordered a tester) The car shuts down when putting it into gear. Ran perfectly before I started using the launch control. Has gotten worse.

I'm wondering if the settings are right? Or if the launch control (ignition) function could cause a problem with the LS1 coils? Are the better coils to run?

One other thing is my timing light (inductive) has an arrow on it pointing towards the spark plug it only works when put on backwards arrow towards the coil?

I thought this was just a manufacturing error on the timing light. Now I'm not so sure. I'll try it on another car and see.

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

What dwell settings have you got in your dwell table.

Having the timing light indicating with the arrow facing in the opposite direction, NORMALLY indicates the coil polarity is reversed.

The dwell control is 5.5 throughout the usefull range (from 10 volts on up, thoughout the rpm range).

The car was running fine (I think) Could it run fine with the polarity reversed? Could the launch control (2 step) function hurt the coils if they were reversed.

I'm pretty sure the coils are wounded. Cars runs its best at first startup then gets worse (heat builup in the coils?) Ordered a COP coil tester it should be here in a day or two.

I was sure I found the problem the other day though. I have my fuel pressure regulator in the trunk next to the fuel cell and pump. The fuel pressure gauge is mounted on the regulator. It is set at 46 pounds, I put a second gauge next to the fuel rail and it read 40 pounds. So I thought the secondary filter must have been bad. I changed the filter (didn't look bad) and still had the same reading. I switched the gauges and the difference is in the gauges. So I'm back to the drawing board.

Does the car stall when idling fine when you put it in gear? Is a an automatic? Does it stall only when launch control are active? Do you use ignition cut or retard?

I have heard that if you put to much dwell on the LS1 coils, they will self ignite. I do not remember how many ms when it happens. I would try lowering down to 3.5 ms just to be on the safe side. If you get problems regarding spark blowout on 3.5 ms I would raise it a little. I have run the LS1 coils with 100whp pr.sylinder running E85 and 1.8 bar boost without problems with about 3.5 ms dwell if I remember correctly.

Does the car stall when idling fine when you put it in gear? Is a an automatic? Does it stall only when launch control are active? Do you use ignition cut or retard?

I have heard that if you put to much dwell on the LS1 coils, they will self ignite. I do not remember how many ms when it happens. I would try lowering down to 3.5 ms just to be on the safe side. If you get problems regarding spark blowout on 3.5 ms I would raise it a little. I have run the LS1 coils with 100whp pr.sylinder running E85 and 1.8 bar boost without problems with about 3.5 ms dwell if I remember correctly.

The coil dwell is set at 5.5 ms spark duration is 1.0 ms. Even though I am not turbo'ed or nitros, I have had spark plug blow out with my gaps set at .050 (stock setting). The car would breakup slightly at high rpms under load. I cured it by setting plugs at .025.

I'm hoping that the coils are wounded. I'm waiting for a COP tester to get here.

Could the 2 step function, setup to kill spark only have hurt the coils? The coils were used when I got them I ran them for 2 years without incident. When I installed the lastest firmware with the new launch control settings. The car started giving me problems when the launch control was applied. And has gotten worse now even without the launch control energized.

I suspect if the coils have died it won't be from the launch control.

As all this does is alter the point at which the coil is fired.

Thanks for the reply. The coils I put on the car were used , so I don't know their history. Just wanted to know if they could be hurt by the 2 step function.

Going to check the coils as soon as I get the coil tester.

If they aren't my problem I'm going to change my cam sensor (hall effect). And go from there