Too high VE issue

Evilstereo

Hi guys,

I'm trying modelled fuel equation on S15Link Plug-In ECU and have an issue with too high VE on idle.

Engine spec is: SR20DET engine block (OEM crank, OEM sleeves, 86.5 mm pistons, CR 8.6), SR20VE engine head (Kelford 184-ST cams, VVL), Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors, Hypertune intake manifold, Toyota NZ coils. Checked for any air leaks, cracks, etc.

So, I've entered all fuel settings like engine capacity, fuel density and temp coeff, stoich, fuel charge, min effective pulse width, injector flow (it should be 1015 cc @ 300 kPa of fuel press as Injector Dynamics website says), injector deadtimes and short PW adder. We know typical VE should be about 50% when idling, but I reached AFR 14.7 (without any fuel trims or enrichments) only when I've increased VE on idle zone to ~100%. So, checks my injectors again and its like new, as well as plugs, coils, harness. I've tried to decrease injector flow setting to 600cc and got stoich AFR with 50% VE. I didn't started mapping yet, but I think if I got 100% VE on idle it won't be enough 150 VE for boost area.

So, what I'm doing wrong? Is there any additional settings I missed? Help!

9 hours ago, Ducie54 said:

Post a map and a quick log. I have a similar setup. Curious if u used the LINK dead time data. Which 1000cc ID injectors?

I'm using ID1000 1000.60.11.14.4 injectors (NOT updated ID1050), so I've used this http://help.injectordynamics.com/helpdesk/attachments/15318874 file for setup.

Here's two logfiles (running on 1015cc setting and ~80% VE on idle (cannot run if less) and running on 600cc setting and ~50% VE), also I've added screenshots of all fuel settings. Please, check attachment

Thanks for your reply!

600cc VE map.png

1015cc VE map.png

Settings.png

600cc.llg 1015cc.llg

onw thing I like to check when seeing strangeness like this is to go and measure what voltage the injectors are receiving, to compare if that's the same as the ECU is reading.  I've seen a LOT of installs where there's a significant difference between the ECU's reading and what the injectors/ignition is actually receiving. 

In modelled mode you should also zero out the IAT trim table to start with, and the charge temp table looks like it needs work

I dont see much wrong with the set-up.  As above, turn off IAT trim and the 4D table as a start but I dont think these will solve the problem. 

If it were mine the next step I would take is a basic flow test on an injector to confirm it is actually 1000cc.  You can get a pretty good idea just by connecting an injector direct to a battery and holding it open for say 30seconds and measure how much fuel you get.  You can usually just hose clamp them in a piece of hose, dont need the rail etc.

And I would try to confirm the fuel pressure with a gauge or similar - just to confirm the sensor is reading correctly.  I have had mislabeled sensors before.

20 hours ago, JMP said:

onw thing I like to check when seeing strangeness like this is to go and measure what voltage the injectors are receiving, to compare if that's the same as the ECU is reading.  I've seen a LOT of installs where there's a significant difference between the ECU's reading and what the injectors/ignition is actually receiving. 

In modelled mode you should also zero out the IAT trim table to start with, and the charge temp table looks like it needs work

Injectors, coils, sensors, triggers wiring already checked, everything good and same voltage as ECU.

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

I dont see much wrong with the set-up.  As above, turn off IAT trim and the 4D table as a start but I dont think these will solve the problem. 

If it were mine the next step I would take is a basic flow test on an injector to confirm it is actually 1000cc.  You can get a pretty good idea just by connecting an injector direct to a battery and holding it open for say 30seconds and measure how much fuel you get.  You can usually just hose clamp them in a piece of hose, dont need the rail etc.

And I would try to confirm the fuel pressure with a gauge or similar - just to confirm the sensor is reading correctly.  I have had mislabeled sensors before.

I've checked injectors before installing and compared injectors to each other. It's a good idea to confirm actual flow, thank you. As well as checking FP regulator and FP sensor. Will do

17 hours ago, Adamw said:

Injectors passed test successfully. I've got little bit less than 1 liter per minute at 300 kPa (about 970cc), but all injectors same result. As well as I checked both FP regulator and FP sensor using mechanical gauge.

Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

@Adamw is there a way to see the actual correction % due to fuel pressure fluctuation in the runtime values?  I didnt see anything with a quick glance.

I dont think so.  JMP's suggestion is a good one though, well worth a try.

• 1 year later...