Atom G4+ Initial wiring.

GRAZ

Hi all. I have just started wiring in the fuse and relay section of my Atom and just wan't to confirm a few things.

1: Is ECU hold power an essential thing I should be using? It's a pretty simple engine being 4cyl sequential injection/ignition, 2 wire IAC valve (S15/200sx inlet manifold), Innovate wideband, MAC valve boost control, TPS, MAP sensor with IAT and Coolant sensors. I was going to set up the relay panel to take a switched relay that turns on all the circuits direct from the key/ignition. The reason I ask is that using the ecu hold power function ties up a DI & AO. I don't have a powered fan or any sort of stepper motor that would need to function after the engine is shut down. I think I could better use one of those wiring pins for some sort of engine protection either something like a knock sensor or oil pressure sensor if these are available for a single DI. If anyone knows of a good sensor that can be wired into a DI for engine protection I am all ears.

2: I can't get my head around the MAC valve boost control side of things. I simply want a low setting and high setting, low being wastegate pressure and high being whatever the limit the engine gets tuned to. Below is how it is explained in another post from 2016.

boost switch 2.PNG

Below is how it is depicted from the website of NZEFI. https://www.nzefi.com/product/toggle-switch-missile-cover-boost-select-map-select-etc/

Digital-Input-Wiring.jpg

895148835_Fuserelaypanel.thumb.jpg.b146979df6da5b9bbf3bde44887c50d8.jpg

You dont need ECU hold power wiring, that is only required for installs with a stepper motor that needs to reset after the ignition is turned off.  I will attach a basic 4 Cyl wiring diagram if I can find it.

You can do the boost switch a couple of different ways.  One is as you mentioned with the switch connected to a DI.  However this does use up a DI and the atom only has two.

The second option is just have the switch on the 12V supply side of the solenoid - then you just turn power off to the solenoid so it runs on spring pressure.  That doesnt use a DI then but means in low boost mode you may loose some of the benefits of electronic boost control such as bleeding the wastegate during spool for quicker build.  

I only have a Monsoon V8 wiring diagram handy, but this will at least cover the main relay side etc.

Monsoon-LS1-Basic (1).png

Hey Adam this is a great diagram cheers. I have my relays set up very similar however I have added a separate relay for the injectors and the wideband. Just allows for a few extra fuses. Also I think I have my relays wired a little different. My relays don't see 12v power until the switched relay is actioned by the key ignition. I guess it's just a different way of powering up the circuits. I was thinking it better to remove all power from the circuits once the key is off rather than having power sitting on the relays all the time.

I am going to run the boost control hi low to a switched ground on the DI. I would prefer ecu controlled boost for both low and hi settings. The other DI channel I am going to use for a single wire knock sensor like a bosch donut style.

At the moment I have an unused AUX output but as I am staying with a clutch fan for the moment I want that AUX left available for if I ever feel the need to use an electric fan.

11 minutes ago, GRAZ said:

The other DI channel I am going to use for a single wire knock sensor like a bosch donut style.

The Atom doesnt have knock control or any inputs that are suitable for knock.  Knock is actually an audio signal so our ECU's with knock control have a dedicated knock input pin with the appropriate hardware inside to process it.

Hmm bugger. Is there a new Atom ECU called Atom2?

PC link has the Atom2 as being able to have an external knock sensor which is where I was getting my info from.

Any other thoughts on some sort of engine protection sensor that I could utilise a DI for? I mean it's not a total necessity being a mildly tuned street car but something extra would be nice. I'm guessing that a rev cut, overboost and water temps corrections/fail safes are pretty standard within the software. I am yet to have a real play in the software/pc link.

2 hours ago, GRAZ said:

PC link has the Atom2 as being able to have an external knock sensor which is where I was getting my info from.

Im not sure what you are referring to here.  If you look in the ecu settings menu you will see there is not even a knock control menu.  The "digital knock feedback" function in digital inputs is for the old "G4 Knockblock" which was a standalone knock processing box, it still wouldnt do anything with an Atom though as you have no access to any knock control functionality.

2 hours ago, GRAZ said:

Any other thoughts on some sort of engine protection sensor that I could utilise a DI for?

DI means "Digital input", this is an on/off type signal or sometimes a frequency.  Typically DI's are used for something like a high/low boost switch or clutch switch for two-step etc.  Not much you can do with it for engine protection.  Sensors that are used for engine protection are typically pressure or temp sensors connected to analog inputs.