TST185 Pinout Clarification

nabera

I was comparing the pin outs in the MR2Link V1 installation manual with my 1991 FSM Wiring Diagram and I found a few things I was hoping to get clarified. 

1. In the MR2Link V1 it shows AUX 6 as A/C Request for PIN 63. This has no connection into the ECU. I believe this is typically for the a PIN labeled "ACT" but the 1991 MR2 Turbo does not have this. I assume I can just leave this as an open AUX for future use? Is there anything else I need to wire as an AUX for the A/C with the Link ECU? 

2. I saw this elsewhere but PIN 34 in the MR2Link V1 shows AnVolt4, the FSM has this as the knock sensor. I assume AnVolt 4 is actually for the AFM (which will be deleted anyways). 

3. AnTemp 3 is shown at PIN 45 which is the EGR Temp Sensor. If I want to use the GM IAT here I would assume I just wire it to this pin. 

4. The Open and Close Solenoid in the MR2Link seems to be reverse from the FSM. AUX 2 which is listed as ISC Open in the MR2Link is wired to PIN 18 which is labeled RSC (ISC Close) in the FSM. And AUX 1 which is ISC Close in MR2Link is wired to PIN 5 which is RSO (ISC Open) in the FSM. If this is in fact reverse, should I swap these or is this configurable in the PC Link software?

4 hours ago, nabera said:

1. In the MR2Link V1 it shows AUX 6 as A/C Request for PIN 63. This has no connection into the ECU. I believe this is typically for the a PIN labeled "ACT" but the 1991 MR2 Turbo does not have this. I assume I can just leave this as an open AUX for future use? Is there anything else I need to wire as an AUX for the A/C with the Link ECU? 

It sounds like it.  If the ecu doesnot control the AC Clutch on your car then it must be controlled by a separate module.

2. I saw this elsewhere but PIN 34 in the MR2Link V1 shows AnVolt4, the FSM has this as the knock sensor. I assume AnVolt 4 is actually for the AFM (which will be deleted anyways). 

I think you must be looking at the wrong pinout.  AN Volt 4 is on pin 37 (air flow meter) and Knock input is pin 34 on the TST185.

OAl8xt4.png

3. AnTemp 3 is shown at PIN 45 which is the EGR Temp Sensor. If I want to use the GM IAT here I would assume I just wire it to this pin. 

You can use that or AN Temp 2 is on pin 36 and is available already in the engine bay in the airbox.

4. The Open and Close Solenoid in the MR2Link seems to be reverse from the FSM. AUX 2 which is listed as ISC Open in the MR2Link is wired to PIN 18 which is labeled RSC (ISC Close) in the FSM. And AUX 1 which is ISC Close in MR2Link is wired to PIN 5 which is RSO (ISC Open) in the FSM. If this is in fact reverse, should I swap these or is this configurable in the PC Link software?

I suggest you try it and see.  I have never heard of anyone needing to swap the wires in the 15years or more we have been selling a ST185 ecu.  Every pinout I can find online shows Close on pin 5 and open on pin 18.

The MR2 and st185 celica have slightly different AC setups, from memory in the mr2 the ecu doesn't have any control over the ac.

Pin34 shows up in my diagram as a knock sensor input

yup

Don't think this is configurable in G4+ (it is in G4X) but try it first before swapping pins, bigger idle numbers should give higher idle speed by convention.

Thanks for both of the replies, that helps a lot. 

Regarding AnVolt 4 - In the photo I see it listed for two pins (attached). This is what is in the manual that came with the TST185 and the latest document on the site. I was just confused that AnVolt 4 is listed in two places.

Either way not a big deal. I will just use PIN34 for KNK and not worry about the AFM which won't be used.

This is off topic but I am assuming I have a G4+... is there a G4X PlugIn for the GEN2 MR2 (USDM)? This is surely showing my ignorance but I have seen it listed in the descriptions as G4X but every where else it says G4+, so I assume it is + not X.

OAl8xt4.png

I have one more question relating to pinouts. Are the pins listed above every pin that is used by the link? The stock ECU has quite a few extra pins for what looks like sensor ground (E01, E1) and then Power (+B, BATT) - Are these not needed with the Link? Basically can I omit them from the harness?

This is off topic but I am assuming I have a G4+... is there a G4X PlugIn for the GEN2 MR2 (USDM)? This is surely showing my ignorance but I have seen it listed in the descriptions as G4X but every where else it says G4+, so I assume it is + not X.

The G4X has just recently been released.  The current ECU we sell is the G4X, G4+ is the previous generation.  If yours is more than about a month old it will probably be a G4+. 

I have one more question relating to pinouts. Are the pins listed above every pin that is used by the link? The stock ECU has quite a few extra pins for what looks like sensor ground (E01, E1) and then Power (+B, BATT) - Are these not needed with the Link? Basically can I omit them from the harness?

The pins shown on the pinout are just the ones that can be re-assigned or that are important for installation and diagnostics.  All the fixed stuff such as grounds, power, 5V, sensor grounds etc is not shown on this list but is still needed.

I will admit I feel slightly validated as the above pinout shows B9 (AUX1) as ISC Open which is what I was seeing in the FSM and described above. So the G4X looks like AUX1 is ISC Open where as G4+ shows AUX1 as ISC Close. Odd. I couldn't find the G4X manual other than: http://linkecu.com/documentation/TST185X.pdf which doesn't have that pinout.

8 hours ago, nabera said:

Odd. I couldn't find the G4X manual other than: http://linkecu.com/documentation/TST185X.pdf which doesn't have that pinout.

I have changed all the pinouts to that style since the last release, will be in the next release, As I said earlier in G4X you can swap which way around it is and I have done this in the G4X basemaps hence why the above matches the mr2 bgb.

Have you actually tried it?  Im pretty sure it is correct as is - as I say I have never heard of anyone needing to swap the open/close pins on one of these ecus.  If you open up your factory ECU, toyota label all the pins on the silkscreen.  Im pretty sure you will find the G4+ pinout is correct and the FSM and G4X pinout is not.  

All the pics online I can find show RSC on pin 5 and RSO on pin 18.

fA8JB6h.png

You are right on my ECU it is the same as your photos. Validation removed - and not the first time I have been misled by a FSM :| 

Looks like I have a G4+ which is not what I thought I was getting. Luckily the shop is willing to send the G4X when they get some in, which they said they have had a hard time doing. Not that rushed though to be honest. It is 110 out right now in the Phoenix summer, so really not too motivated to be out in the garage working.