Evo 8 sequential smart coils and secondary fuel pump

kool021

Hi I have G4+ plug and play and 2 xsl loom I need lil help with NZEFI Ultra High Performance 4 Coil Ignition on 2003 Nz new evo 8 so I believe they come with wasted setup coils I need to change to sequential I can reuse ground and power not sure about trigger?

also Secondary 044 Bosch fuel pump inside the surge tank I want it to be controlled by ecu only on high boost?  

You should ground them properly as per the data sheet, some pins are grounded to cyl head, some to the battery, some to ecu sensor ground.  They can pull significat current so you will have to check if the factory power supply is suitable.

As for the triggers, for direct spark you will need to run new wires from the ecu for ign 3 and ign 4.  You may also need to move the AC Clutch and fan to some other aux.

With the evo 8 plug-in ECU in a factory car, ign 3 is used to control the AC cltuch and ign 4 is used to control the condensor fan.  It sounds like you dont need these functions any more, but if you want to use ign 3 & 4, you will have to remove the AC and fan wire and run your own new wires to the coils.  They are not available on the expansion port.

Lil bit confused so trigger cylinder 3 and 4 will be going to ecu pins that control AC clutch and ac condenser? By any chance you know what pin number are they? Our ecu is 3 plug like the evo 8 MR I think Also cylinder 1 and 2 I can use those wires already in the engine bay? 

2 hours ago, kool021 said:

Lil bit confused so trigger cylinder 3 and 4 will be going to ecu pins that control AC clutch and ac condenser? By any chance you know what pin number are they? Our ecu is 3 plug like the evo 8 MR I think Also cylinder 1 and 2 I can use those wires already in the engine bay? 

Download the manual PDF man, there's a pinout guide in there for you to refer to. 

http://linkecu.com/documentation/EVO9+.pdf

You didnt originally say you have an EVO9 ecu.  The Evo 9 is a similar story though, ign 4 originally controls the condensor fan so you will have to remove that wire to get acces to ign 4, and ign 3 controls the fuel pump so you will have to move that wire to a spare aux to free up ign 3.

7 hours ago, EvocentriK said:

Not sure why pin 30 and 31 are both marked Ign4. Perhaps @Adamw can shed some light on that one.

From having a quick look at the schematic it looks like ign 4 is controlling both condenser fan 1 relay and condenser fan 2 relay

• 3 weeks later...

I think I got the coils wired up right they just need configuration now but dos any body know what aux I move it the fuel pump to?? Also how to configure the sequential coils or they don’t need to? and what aux output to suit fuel pump? Just want to start it and check it before I send it for tune 

47 minutes ago, kool021 said:

I think I got the coils wired up right they just need configuration now but dos any body know what aux I move it the fuel pump to?? Also how to configure the sequential coils or they don’t need to? and what aux output to suit fuel pump? Just want to start it and check it before I send it for tune 

You will need to change the your igntion mode which is located under IGNITION>IGNITION MAIN>IGNITION SETUP  to direct spark (with spark edge set to falling) as you now have 1 ignition coil per cylinder. I presume you will have to reassign the AC clutch and engne fan to another 2 x free aux channels and assign Igntion 3 and 4 to those channels.  Once youve got it wired and setup correctly run the test igntion function and see if you are getting spark.  If you are using an expansion loom it doesnt matter which free aux output channel you move the fuel pump to as long as you obviously wire the fuel pump to that pin on the expansion loom and assign it correctly - for example if you are using the expansion connector then wire the fuel pump to AUX 9 (if thats a free channel) and then assign AUX 9 to Fuel Pump. 

The contents section under help in the PC link software is really helpful too and explains all of the functions and what they do and how they work etc.  

Click AUX 9 it will bring you into a window - then just click where it says OFF and that will give you a list of options of what to assign to that channel in your case obviously Fuel pump. (have attached screenshot) 

In regards to the second pump to come in at full boost i have never done this but i would say you wire the second pump to a free aux channel then set that channel up as a GP OUTPUT then have the switch logic set to Cond 1 only and then set SW Cond 1 to MAP> 200kpa for example if full boost for you is 100kpa (1 bar) of positive presssure . To be honest i would probably set this to come on when your injector duty cycle is over a certain % so set INJ DC %> to 70% or something but yeah i dunno. I would just wire it up and leave the switching conditions to the tuner as they will know best. 

Aux 9.JPG

I use AUX 9 but fuel pump seems to run with ignition switch on.. i need it to start working when I crank the engine but good news is the sequential Spark is working and the car is running.. now question there’s options it’s says law and high we set it up on high or law? Also Second external fuel pump? How do we set it up on high speed or high boost 

As adam said above you cant use AUX 9 as its only for the DBW Throttle so you will have to use another Aux 10 or 11. You will get a pre crank prime where the pump runs for like 2 seconds or so when the key is first put in the On position as it needs to prime the fuel system. 

As for the high speed/high boost fuel pump setup firstly the speed of the car is irrelevant as you want to swith the second pump on based on engine load not car speed. If you want the second pump to come on when you are under or close to full load then you need to tell the ecu under what condition do you want it to switch it on. Wire the pumps relay earth (pin 85) to a spare aux channel and go into the help section in PC link software and read this section on General Purpose outputs. You need to tell the software under what condition or parameters do you want to trigger the switched earth (aux output).
As i said earlier you can set the switching conditions up from various options so if you want to switch it based on boost you will have to set it up as SW Cond 1 to MAP> ???kpa keeping in mind that manifold absolute pressure or MAP includes the 100kpa of atmospheric pressure so only numbers over 100 kpa are boost pressure - 100 kpa is 14.5 psi of boost pressure or 1.45psi per 10 kpa over 100 kpa. eg 140kpa of MAP pressure is 5.8 psi of boost presssure.

GP 3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve done aux 10 and done configuration in aux 9 to fuel pump but the intake fuel pump turns on when the ignition key is on and it don’t stop pumping. Before it use to pump and stop. Then it Starts pumping  when you crank the engine