Honda VTEC Solenoid

Grant Baker

The highside drives on Aux 5/6/7/8 are rated for 0.5A continuous.  Google suggests the B18C vtec solenoid will be between 14-30ohms.  So if its 30ohm it will be fine but if its 14ohm it will probably trip out after some time.  If yours is more than about 25ohm I would be happy to drive it direct otherwise it will be best to fit a relay.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys!

Hope all is well with you?

The Honda VTEC solenoid (12.5ohm) and vvt solenoid(7.5 ohm)found on the L15b engine (And others) needs 12v to switch.

Can this be fired directly from a G4X pin (AUX 6) or does it need a relay?

Hi Guys!

Hope all is well with you?

The Honda VTEC solenoid (12.5ohm) and vvt solenoid(7.5 ohm)found on the L15b engine (And others) needs 12v to switch.

Can this be fired directly from a G4+ force GDI  pin (AUX 6) or does it need a relay?

Doesnt the L15B Vtec solenoid have two wires?  If it has 2 wires then you can just connect one wire to 12V and the other to the ecu aux and use lowside drive.  The ECU then only needs to do lowside drive and it can handle 2A.  

If it only has one wire like the B18C that this post was about then you will need a relay to highside drive it.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2020 at 12:11 AM, Adamw said:

The highside drives on Aux 5/6/7/8 are rated for 0.5A continuous.  Google suggests the B18C vtec solenoid will be between 14-30ohms.  So if its 30ohm it will be fine but if its 14ohm it will probably trip out after some time.  If yours is more than about 25ohm I would be happy to drive it direct otherwise it will be best to fit a relay.

I know this is an old post but its relevant to my question. 

Link G4x Extreme ECU - can I use Aux 9 or 10 to drive the vtec solenoid via high side? I tested setting it that way in the software... it seems to be possible just wanted to confirm. 

Ohms tested at 15.5... according to output specs 9 and 10 should do high/low both at roughly 4amps which is more than enough. 

Thanks Adam, appreciate the help as always 

Jon

Although the Aux 9/10 hardware would be capable, we dont yet have a high side drive option in the software when they are set to GP Output.  

I just looked at the documentation for the chipset we use on Aux 5-8 and I reckon one of those will do your Vtec solenoid high side drive no worries. As usual our quoted specs are very conservative.  Even though we quote 0.5A, the chipset doesnt over current protect until 6A minimum.  However I would only put high load through one of the aux 5-8 channels in this case.  

34 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Although the Aux 9/10 hardware would be capable, we dont yet have a high side drive option in the software when they are set to GP Output.  

I just looked at the documentation for the chipset we use on Aux 5-8 and I reckon one of those will do your Vtec solenoid high side drive no worries. As usual our quoted specs are very conservative.  Even though we quote 0.5A, the chipset doesnt over current protect until 6A minimum.  However I would only put high load through one of the aux 5-8 channels in this case.  

I assume because the ecu is drawing its high side supply from a single ecu pin? A5... when A5 and B5 are both given 12v does it help at all? or is B5 only for the DBW outputs? 

Thanks Adam

• 7 months later...

20 hours ago, Fwdmn said:

Dragging this one up from the depths to keep it in one thread, are people fitting flyback diodes for their VTEC and i-VTEC solenoids or is that unnecessary?

If using Aux outputs switching high side, no need for fly-wheeling diode.
If using Aux outputs switching low side, no need for external fly-wheeling diode (there is one built-in for each Aux output).
If using Injection & Ignition outputs used as Aux switching low side, external fly-wheeling diode recommended.

5 hours ago, Fwdmn said:

That is good to know, thank you!

Is it still ok to power the ECU, injectors, coils, two solenoids and the three CAS and CAM hall sensors from the Main Relay or is this too much tacked on to one thing?

depends on the type of coils and injectors but often yes it would be no problem.  its all about amperage draw.