Wastegate issues

tarlo

Hi all 

not really a link ecu question just a general turbo question. I have my wastegate welded into turbo housing rather than in manifold and it is struggling to control boost, runs 30psi on 21 psi spring and 23 on 14psi spring. Gate is 48mm progate Turbosmart and turbo is 6870 precision. I’m thinking maybe the pipe angle won’t support wastegate flow maybe. Had same setup on previous turbo gt42 and worked fine. Wastegate line disconnected in photos as I was checking it and the boost t to make sure they weren’t blocked etc. 

17E9B84D-6FD5-449A-A99C-0A18838A65D4.jpeg

6A86004A-AD2C-4DAF-B66A-35E5511070ED.jpeg

I have seen this technique work well, but always the wastegate exit has been a really nice merge at a tangent to the flow similar to the pic below from Corky Bell's book.  Yours is such a sharp change in direction it is probably not just reducing wastegate flow but also effecting turbine efficiency as well.

I have seen similar control issues when the wastegate is attached to the collector at a bad angle.

ozjdW4A.png

Darn maybe I need to buy another rear housing thanks adam. It must be much more critical in the housing than in the manifold, as I have used a Manifold like this before with the same wastegate and the angle is actually the opposite direction to the flow and never had dramas. 

81BFC131-9294-4A98-862C-8635EA7125E2.png

+1 on the merge angle
Had a bike come here with same problem, it would actually make 10 psi with the wastegate removed , dragging air into the turbo rather than letting exhaust out 
If you dont want to replace the housing i would cut the pipe off the housing and remake in same position with an angle cut outlet to compliment flow  

I found the issue with bench testing. the valve guide has worn and air is leaking past acting like a bleed off boost controller. I by chance have a brand new 48mm progate in a box so I’ll swap it and confirm 

• 2 weeks later...